Server Maintenance This Week. ×

WebDirect - replacement for upgrading licenses?

MartieH

This topic is 3796 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

excuse me if this is a silly question....

i have been using fmp11 in a peer-to-peer sharing environment for a long time now. I have been leery of upgrading to 12 because of having to upgrade all my licenses (there are usually 5-7 seats). If I upgrade to 13 (and get fmpserver13) can I use my database on a LAN?

Can my local solution still interact (via an on-timer script - exporting and importing data) to a hosted database on the 'net while the webdirect users are on the LAN?

maybe i should just get the trial version and see....

thanks for any thoughts,
Martie

Yes, you can use the database on a LAN. FM Server will, in simple terms, do the same thing your peer-to-peer sharing does (only better, safer, more secure). There may be some setup needed if the 'LAN' you are referring to is outside your network.

Yes, your Script Triggers will work the same. There may be some performance changes, if there are some bottlenecks in your database, if you are accessing a remote file on a remote server. But it works well, if designed well.

WebDirect will, given the proper setup, access your hosted Server wherever it is.

thank you - i will download the trial over the holidays and see if i can manage to get it all to work. i am eager to try out some of the new 13 features. And finally learn how to work with a server.

the remote file is fmp11 - I am assuming that my ontimer scripts will work with it being 11 even if my local db gets upgraded to 13 since all that happens is the local db creates a tab file which the remote file grabs and updates itself (every 240 seconds) - since the 2 dbs never really interact, I am thinking that their respective versions being different will not matter.

and here i thought i'd have nothing to do over the holidays....

Martie

This topic is 3796 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.