How to start

This topic is 3776 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Stephen,

This forum logs onto a Home page which does not make it easy for new people.  I have had many folks say they don't come here because they never could figure out how to even post a question.

Part of the problem stems from the fact that, upon opening, it goes to HOME.  If you look at Home, there is nowhere it shows how to start a new post which is exactly why most people come here.  Even after registering or signing in, the way to start a new post is not obvious.  The 'forums' tab is small … people are looking for something in the body of the home page on how to begin.

Pretend you are someone new and take a good look at the Home page.  Look around and try to figure how YOU would start a new question.  Your Home shows people's posts … it looks like there should be a way to begin from there, even if it was simply a LARGE button which says, "GO TO FORUMS TO POST A QUESTION" which takes them to the Forums and then displays a message, "Please select the most appropriate forum etc".

Again, over the past several years now, I have gotten frequent feedback that this website is too difficult to find out how to post to it.  People even post Shouts on 'how do I post'.  I try to contact them when I notice it.  You have produced the best website out there (for FileMaker) except for this single issue but it is a big one, in my opinion.  A lot more people would come here if it were clearer.

I agree. It's not possible to just throw a post at the wall. To post you must go to a specific Forum and this is far from obvious to a newcomer. Most of my activity on this forum involves reading posts (of course) and responding on occasion. Though I've "been here for years", whenever I need to start a new post it's anything but intuitive.

I agree - that I am not fond of the "Home" in fact I had a problem last week and had to reinstall in so it's currently in flux. 

My future goal is to make the home page more branding LANDING page that will have news items and items form the forums promoted there. Just have to find some time. It would have links to a "how to post" instructions. 

The issue these days is that expectations have shifted due to sites like FaceBook, Twitter, Google+ where people post in a "stream" of thought. Forums are a topical hierarchy and over a decade old concept. They are still going strong but the new social streams don't lend to any organization of thought or topic.

With the technical nature of this site there are many subjects pertaining to one or another feature or aspect of the FileMaker - we try hard to make the forums as easy to navigate - but there are so many issues in FileMaker that span so many topics / subjects it is difficult to decide for a newbie - let alone a veteran. ( i am guilty myself )

I have also seen new members start their post with an apology (not being sure of the proper forum) so it's not perfect. 

In the past we had tried to have a generic forum where newbies just post there and then moderators would file it to the proper forum - but that didn't work cause it put too much work onto the volunteer moderators, most just gave up.

I am open to suggestion with regard to forum organization if there are some that need consolidating or there are some that need their own forum. 

S

For now i turned off the "Home" and also turned on a feature "Start New Topic" its in the main navigation bar next the "View New Content"

it will drop down a list of all the forums choosing one will start a new topic in that forum.

This topic is 3776 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.