Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Found set reverts to show all records

sedekk

This topic is 3797 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

A basic question from a newbie:

Whenever I perform a query that returns a found set, I can use that found set into any layout based on the same table that the found set is based upon.

But if I try to use that found set on a layout based on another table, Filemaker drops the found set and reverts to showing all records.

What must be done to carry my found set on any given layout and only revert when I issue a Show All Records command in a chosen script.

Your expectation does not seem realistic.

But you are not providing any meaningful detail.

What do you mean by layout based on another table? Please be very specific.

If I find all Contacts where state = NY, then switch to an Invoices layout, there isn't any connection.

Hi,

Found sets are window-specific and that includes other files.  But if you can, it works best to restrict all (or most) scripting to a single interface file.  If you base the layout on that file's table's table occurrence in the current file then you will STILL have the situation if you open a new window, but you won't need to open a new window at all.

Just something to consider.  I understand that you may have a pre-existing solution where layouts exist in both files but if not, a single interface works best.   :laugh2:

As for a layout based on a another table:   I mean whatever I do, I might be on another layout where a choice as to be made on one specific field from my first table.

To choose there, I will want to show a list of possibilities already filtered. (that's my found set I still need to use)

To Laretta: what does Scripting to a single interface file mean exactly?

Then your expectation is indeed incorrect.

FileMaker does not work that way.

However - you have not really provided a specific example.

Please give real, meaningful names for your tables and layouts.

NOT Layout A; Layout B. 

Please also describe what real task you are trying to perform.

Right now it doesn't make any sense.

There is no reason to expect that if I am showing a Contacts layout with found set of state=NY; then switch the the Native Plant Species layout I will find plants that grow in NY.

Other than providing the file itself, I could probably not explain the problem clearly.

So far to solve the problem, I import the found set into another table with the exact same fields structure as the original table.

Then I use that table through the solution as it represents my found set whenever I need it.  The only major drawback is I cannot write data to this table, as it is only temporary.

Not the best way to do it, but gets the job done until I know better !

Maybe it is possible to create a clone of the file (no records) and upload that? Or a simplified example file?

What you are doing is very inefficient and is not necessary. The process of working through this will be valuable to you and you will end up with a better understanding of how to build things in FileMaker. 

• Like 1

You keep talking about a layout based on a DIFFERENT table but then you say your solution is to export then import, therefore creating an unnecessary new table that is NOT different. It's all very strange and it would be better if you just describe what you are trying to accomplish.

This topic is 3797 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.