Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Download files from server

This topic is 3769 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I installed FMS 13 yesterday. Nice! However I've discovered when, in the admin console, I download database files from the server, it creates zip files that unzip into unix executable files. Not much good. I suspect this might be different if the files downloaded to a machine other than the host machine, but there's no option to do this although there are other macs on the network. I found the workaround. From another machine on the network, grab the files in the data/databases folder. They appear on the second machine and the permissions are all corrected as well so they can be opened locally by FMPA. It seems odd that FMS has the commands and they don't seem to work. Another oddity in my opinion is that restoring from FMS backup is manual, as in done with OS file manipulation. This surprises me. Hopefully I won't have to do this.

Rick.

Another oddity in my opinion is that restoring from FMS backup is manual, as in done with OS file manipulation. This surprises me. Hopefully I won't have to do this.

Count on the fact that you WILL have to do it, so practice and get familiar with it.  Hope is a very bad strategy in this case :)

Also plan on the reality that you need to be able to train the users and/or the users' IT deparment on how to do this correctly.

Restores come in many shapes and forms.  Sometimes you need to check just one file, sometimes you may want to back-track through a couple of backup sets to find the one that is ok (not corrupted, has the data).

Never EVER open a file directly from a backup set, always copy the files to somewhere else, test them and only then copy them to where FMS can host them from.

Sounds like you don't have FMP 13 installed on the host. otherwise Mac OS would recognise the file extension - .fmp12

No, I don't have FM13 on the host. Other machines have it and they see the files as they should be.

Rick.

No, I don't have FM13 on the host. Other machines have it and they see the files as they should be.

Rick.

Now I do have fmpro13 installed on the host machine. There's no difference. When I download from server the zip files still unzip to unix executable files.

Another issue I've encountered is when I try, from the Admin console, to change the default backup folder or add a progressive backup folder. When I attempt to exit the page after saving my settings it tells me I can't exit until I save or revert. Saving has no effect. Very frustrating.

Rick.

This topic is 3769 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.