Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Ghost Records with Values "?" in the fields

This topic is 3769 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have been working on FM 12 solution.

Whenever I try to perform find for an particular Order record, 2 records are found in the found set.

Where one record in the found set is the original record been searched for and another record is an blank record where all the fields in the record contains "?".

So thinking it as a corrupted record i deleted it. It changed the found count to 1.

But deleting the record didn't affect the total record count. It is same as the before

And after doing that, I again made the performed a find for the same order no. again 2 records in the found set appears with one of them is an undefined record (Ghost record) that been deleted previously.

And the issue is also only produced when find is performed for an particular order record only.

Thinking of the file been corrupted, recovered the file but the issue still persists

Confused and Surprised. :idot:  

Please advise, if there is any solution to it or any certain cause that leads to this.

Re-Index fields in the problem file.( FM 8 corrupted indexes in this way until the first update, first I have heard of this in 12.)  It's worth a try.

Edit:  Likely you just need to reindex the field that the find was using.  (Order_Num ??  Reindexing, even if it fixes the problem, does not say what caused the corruption to the index and you may indeed have a larger issue with the file.)

A file should not be used after a Recover.  It is used only to (sometimes) diagnose if there is corruption but rather to allow export of data for import into a new clean clone which has never crashed.  The Recover process can further damage a file in ways not apparent.

If you use File > Recover and specify Advanced Options and only specify rebuilding the index and not modifying schema, it is fine.  

This topic is 3769 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.