How do I display only certain records in a list layout?

Charlie Kilo

This topic is 3773 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello everybody!

I work in a dental business.  I have made a little database to keep track of the cases we have ongoing.

There's only one table: CASES.  Each record tracks things like the patient name, the date of the next appointment, etc.  The field STATUS tracks whether the case is "Live" or "Completed".

I made a layout of the type "list view" so I can see all the cases on one screen, which is really handy.  However, it currently displays all the cases, whether or not they are "Live" or "Completed".

What's the best way to make this layout display only the "Live" records?  My instinct is to write a script that runs a find request and executes automatically (somehow) whenever the user enters the layout.  Is this the correct approach, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I am a Filemaker noob so if I'm doing this in a completely stupid and inefficient way, please do tell me!  This is the first time I've played with list view.

Thanks for reading and helping a noob!  :-)

That will work. Attach the automated find to the end of your navigation script that goes to that layout.

As you go forward, think of having several tables. Right now you have to re-enter the client name every time they have an appointment. You should only have to enter them once.

Get some books on database theory and FileMaker Pro. You want to know about things like normalization, entity relationship analysis etc and do it soon. As you have some success with this, you will become empowered, but without any background, only empowered enough to dig a big hole and get burried.

Don't get discouraged. Many of us started out just the same way you are. One step at a time.

• Like 1

This topic is 3773 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.