Computer can't map to other computers on the network

Barry685

This topic is 3719 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

OS is Win7, Server's OS is Server 2008 R2.

I have a server + 3 workstations. From one particular workstation I can't connect peer to peer, or to the server, when I try to map a drive from it. However all the other workstations, including the server, can connect to it. Discovery is on, I have googled and googled but can't seem to fix it.

Please note this problem workstation does connect properly to Filmaker server thru open remote.
Thanks

Sounds like your problem workstation has not joined the peer to peer workgroup or been recognised by the server as a valid user. As I understand it, Filemaker Server runs its own recognization stacks.

Knucklehead

I think your explanation is not very clear, Barry.  Let me try and recap:

You have one copy of FileMaker Server. That is installed on the Windows 2008 Server machine.

You have 3 workstations, no domain involved, just the default Windows WORKGROUP.

All 3 workstations can connect to the hosted FM files through "open remote".

So strictly from a FM point of view there are no problems at all.

Now you want to connect to a network share.  Where is that share?  On the Windows 2008 server?

Assuming that is correct, you are saying that two workstations can connect to it but a 3rd one not.

It seems you are also trying to connect TO that rogue workstation from the other machines and that's confusing, I'm assuming you only do that for troubleshooting, correct?

The term "peer-to-peer" in the FM world means trying to connect with a copy of FileMaker Pro to another copy of FileMaker Pro (not FileMaker Sever).  I'm assuming that you mean trying to access a network share on another computer, nothing to do with FM, correct?

As an aside: careful with file shares that exist on the FM Server machine.  The FM files should never be exposed through OS-level file sharing, ever.

O.K.

Will try to clarify.

The server is called BarryServer.

The work group is "Studio".

There are 3 workstations 1,2, and 3.

From workstation 1 or 2, I can map a drive to any shared folder, that is on either Barryserver or any other workstation including #3.

From #3 I can't map to anything. None of the other workstations, or BarryServer are listed when I try to map a drive from workstation #3.

From workstation #3 I can access a Filemaker solution that is being hosted on BarryServer.

This topic is 3719 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.