Exporting Checkbox Fields to Excel

This topic is 3763 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am new to FileMaker and I am setting up my first database.

I have created my first table and its fields as a test, and I have imported data from Excel spreadsheet. In my previous application I had a checkbox.  This data exports into Excel as either the word True or the word False in each Excel cell.

In FileMaker, I set up a checkbox for the imported field.  I defined the FMP field as using a value list with only one possible value, True.  My goal is to provide the user with a simple True/False choice, rather than True/False/Neither.

I can then shorten the display box for this field in the layout so the Field Label is right next to a single box, and the box displays either checked or unchecked.   So far so good.

Now here is the problem.  I wanted to test an export, so I created several new records in FMP, then exported the data to a new Excel worksheet.  The output shows zeros in the Excel cells, which seems odd given that the value list is "True."  Even more odd is that the zeros do not correspond to the choices I made in the test records in FMP.   I can put FMP in table mode right next to the Excel sheet and a "True" choice in FMP might export as a 0 or as a blank.  I cannot find a pattern.  It seems random.

What is going on?

Thanks in advance.

You should start by checking two things:

1. Is the field defined as type Text?

2. Place another instance of the field on the layout, format it as edit box and make it tall enough to see the entire contents - including other values that could be separated by carriage returns.

• Newbies

Brilliant.  That is the definition of expertise.  Instant recognition and straight to the soluton.

That did it.  When I first set up the FMP tables I assumed that my previous database would export in 1 and 0.  I set up this particular FMP field to be a number field.  Changing the field to text fixed it.  FMP now imports and  exports correctly.

Now I'm going to try to insert those fancy SeedCode slider checkboxes... 

Changing the field to text fixed it.

I am glad you fixed it, but you should know that there are quite a few advantages in keeping a Boolean (i.e. True/False) field as Number, using a value of 1 for True and 0 (or empty) for False. Not sure how that would affect your co-existence with Excel, though.

• Newbies

Good tip.  I suppose I could do a search and replace without much difficulty.  There isn't a need to export to Excel for any particular reason.  I simply like to make sure to be able to get any data out. 

My saying is that the only sure things in life are death, taxes, and changing databases.

What are the advantages of using 1s and 0s?  I don't want to put you to the trouble of a FMP lesson.  If you could point me to somewhere in that 1300 page manual I'd be appreciative.

Thanks!

This topic is 3763 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.