maximize windows

This topic is 8414 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I recently tried to create a startfile script that resides in its own file so I can mount that on my desktop and hide the rest of the files elsewhere. Among other things, this file opened all of my related files in the right order and maximized the windows. My understanding was that this would allow users to change the window size without affecting the size the next time I open the files. This is not working as I had hoped and the files are still opening the same way they were closed, but I am not sure why. How can I make sure that the files/windows always open the same size and screen location no matter how it is closed?

Also, how would I get this startfile to disappear after opening all the rest of the files? If I place a close file command in the start script (which I tried already) I can never get back inside to modify it. Any ideas? Thanks...

Controlling the Restored Window Size Using the Toggle Window [Zoom] Script Step

Many developers call the Toggle Window [Maximize] script step on startup when deploying FileMaker Pro solutions on the Windows platform. Since FileMaker cannot lock the window in the Maximized state, the window will become Restored (or Unmaximized) whenever another FileMaker file is opened, often to an undesirable window size which will obscure the interface and lead to user confusion. To define the size of the Restored window call the Toggle Window [Zoom] script step during the startup script before the Toggle Window [Maximize] step. The Toggle Window [Zoom] step will size the right and bottom sides of the window to the object that is farthest to the right and bottom on the layout. Depending upon your interface you may want to define a utility layout which contains one object in the position the window should size to.

This was from Jim Mastrianni of Happy Software who submitted this tip at the Database Pros (http://www.databasepros.com) web site.

As to your second question - the open script must be working properly before you set it to run when the file opens - otherwise, if it's not right, you have a 'junk' file. Uncheck the script to run on open and run it manually until you know it is working exactly right. Then once you're ready, set the script to run on open.

A couple additional points:

You may want to use an invisible element in an existing layout to Zoom your window to. That way you don't need to create a layout for it. For example, if you have a white background, just use white lines at the borders where you want the window to open to.

Also, to solve your problem with the file closing, just put a script that runs on opening in the last file that is opened that goes back and closes the first file. That way, you can always interrupt the startup procedure manually (command-period on the Mac) and make your changes to the start-up file.

And, you may find that you don't really need a dedicated start-up file, you can probably run all of this from inside your primary navigation file in the system (whichever file has your splash screen, holds your preferences, and/or the main control panel for the system), if you can do it from that file, you don't need to close it at the end.

I hope this helps,

Cael.

This topic is 8414 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.