Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Can a runtime connect to a server?

MaxB.

This topic is 3736 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

No,

you can't able to do so as during the run-time creation you need to select the files and there is no any option to select the server files. Secondly the run-time are no more pure database files so they cannot be host through the FM server.

Thanks,

Manjit

Manjit is correct that a runtime can not connect to hosted files or be the host.

But FileMaker Server DOES have the capability to host runtime files.  There is a configuration option under "Database Server" to register and host runtime files.  When you do that, only clients with a copy of FM can access the files, runtime copies still can not access the hosted runtime files.

For all intents and purposes, hosted runtime files are just like ordinary hosted filemaker files.

I am hoping to make a runtime solution that would act as a register program. Can I have this update my inventory database?

Your thread title says: "Can a runtime connect to a server?" The answer to this question is probably no.

Then you have a completely different question in the body. Can you have a runtime solution out in the field collecting data and then get this data into the served solution? Sure you can.

This topic is 3736 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.