Fit Window to Screen Size?

This topic is 8378 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm developing a standalone FileMaker 5 application that will be in Kiosk mode. People with laptop computers complain that the size (of everything) is too small (it's fine on desktop systems).

Is there any way (script or ???) to force the window to zoom such that the window will fill the screen as close as possible. Note that I have no way of knowing what resolution in pixels or size in inches the user has set.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

You can use three status functions in a startup script:

Status(CurrentScreenDepth) = number of colors used

Status(CurrentScreenWidth) = width of screen resolution

Status(CurrentScreenHeight) = height of screen resolution

You can use these status functions to have your solution go to a layout or set of layouts that will best fit the user's screen. Look in FileMaker Help to get the return values.

[ June 06, 2001: Message edited by: dykstrl ]

You've run into one of the limitations of FileMaker. Unfortunately, there's no automatic way to do this, although you can fake it.

The first, and easiest way to fake it is to use the Set Zoom Level script step. The script step has the same effect as clicking the zoom buttons at the bottom of the window to a particular magnification. You can determine what zoom level to use by checking the Status( CurrentScreenHeight ) and Status( CurrentScreenWidth ) functions to figure out what which zoom level would work best for the monitor on the computer.

The second, better, and more work solution is to create multiple layouts for different screen resolutions. Every layout has at least one duplicate that is designed for either a larger or smaller screen. Again using the above status functions, you determine which layout to use and then use the Toggle Window [Zoom] step to set the window.

Chuck

You've run into one of the limitations of FileMaker. Unfortunately, there's no automatic way to do this, although you can fake it.

The first, and easiest way to fake it is to use the Set Zoom Level script step. The script step has the same effect as clicking the zoom buttons at the bottom of the window to a particular magnification. You can determine what zoom level to use by checking the Status( CurrentScreenHeight ) and Status( CurrentScreenWidth ) functions to figure out what which zoom level would work best for the monitor on the computer.

The second, better, and more work solution is to create multiple layouts for different screen resolutions. Every layout has at least one duplicate that is designed for either a larger or smaller screen. Again using the above status functions, you determine which layout to use and then use the Toggle Window [Zoom] step to set the window.

Chuck

I'm guessing here, but I bet it's not just a limitation of FileMaker. It's a challenge with any *development tool* but people don't always realise that FMP is a development tool.

A lot of other programs, especially games, refuse to operate on any other monitor rsoultion than that which they were designed for. Why? Because of the amount of effort required to redesign the whole interface several times over.

LCD screens are a problem because their resolution cannot be changed like CRT screens.

• Newbies

FYI, here's what I wound up doing...

I re-designed all the layouts so the actual used-area is a maximum of 710 pixels wide.

Made sure that when I closed each layout (in FMP5) that there was about 1/2 inch extra on the right side. This was the only way I could get scroll bars to appear if needed after running the database through Developer.

Result - People running 800x600 have the full screen used, if 1024x768 it's still easily usable.

Thanks for the ideas. Tom

This topic is 8378 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.