Edit but not Duplicate Record

This topic is 3669 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have FMP Advanced 12.0,  Is it possible to set up a user account as Data Entry but without the ability of duplicating a record or copying a record.

If you deny them the privilege to create records, they won't be able to duplicate records either. If you do want them to create new records, let them do this through a script. Not sure what you mean by "copying a record".

Leverage custom menus and overwrite the records>duplicate menu item with a script of your own.

http://www.filemaker.com/help/html/fmpa_custom.23.15.html

Custom menus are not a security measure.

• Like 1

Leverage custom menus and overwrite the records>duplicate menu item with a script of your own.

http://www.filemaker.com/help/html/fmpa_custom.23.15.html

This does not really prevent duplication or creation of records absent additional constraints.  The UI is not part of the Security Schema.

Steven

Thank you for all the responses.  The problem I am having is that,  in order to save time,  users will sometimes copy a record (ctrl-D)  then just change some data fields and forget to change other data fields that should also be changed.  It causes problems internally in our office.  I guess I would like to remove access to the ctrl-d hot key and the top menu, records> duplicate record  for certain users.  Is this even possible?  

There are (at least) two things you could do:

1. Use auto-enters to clear the "other data fields" when a new record is created, and field validation to prevent these fields being empty. Or, if these fields need to be changed (as in being unique), just validate them as such.

2. Use custom menus to remove access to the Duplicate record command, as suggested earlier by Kris.

Note that neither of these is a security measure, but it sounds like what you're really after is data integrity - and field validation is often the best way to enforce it.

This topic is 3669 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.