Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Virtual Host on FMS13 - Mac

This topic is 3709 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Great information, Claus!  Thank you for publishing it here as well.  :-)

However, some folks haven't registered for TechNet so they will not be able to get it over there.  That's ONE reason I prefer this forum.  Could you post the thread here for those without TechNet.  Yes I know TechNet is free registration but this kind of information should be free and not require a login.  Just a thought!

If you post the thread here then provide a link there, everyone gets it.

Not everyone here is a professional developer but they still need the information.  And, not to nitpick, providing a link to external source isn't as valuable as providing a file or direct reference.  If you ever pulled that file from your server (hey, it happens) then this thread would become worthless.  It is always best to provide the thread and upload a file here so it is stored.  I appreciate you doing this for us!

I hear what you say, however, I believe that it will have updates in the future, and since I have spent a lot of hours figuring this out, I am not very interested in maintaining several places. That is why it was originally posted to TechNet. So now I have 2 places to maintain any possibly future updates, which enough.

Anyway, if you read the post, I belive that it is pretty easy to track me down and get in contact with me….

Okay fine.  But we have a section dedicated to Solutions and samples where they can be updated with future versions.  But that is why I prefer here ... you can post samples and folks do not have to be registered to even download the samples.  If you store in one place, I suggest here.

Anyway, I've done my part making you aware; what you choose to do is fine.  All efforts are appreciated.    :-)  

+1 for L.

Claus: you may also want to include a 2-sentence description of the problem or what virtual hosts are.  That will make it easier for people to find the thread even if they don't know what "virtual hosts" are.

Wim, you are right. Actually, I posted on fmforums as a sort of reply to another discussion. But of course I should have included the description….

So, here you go for those who have any interest….

Wtih FileMaker Server 13 we got a lot of great new stuff.

However, the installation of FMS13 will take over the Apache webserver on a Mac OSX server, which will prevent you from using the built-in web tools in Mac OSX ServerAdmin.

Many people will have a need to be able to create virtual hosts for especially CWP solutions.

Please be aware that FMI strongly advice you to only use a dedicated machine for FMS.

As FMS13 takes over the Apache, there is no native way to configure Virtual Hosts, using GUI tools on Mac OS X.

Due to this change, I have created a guide, with an accompanion FileMaker solution, that gives you the ability to configure Virtual Hosts.

It can be used for a lot of things and also give you the ability to e.g. create an alias, that takes the user directly to a WD solution, without showing the WD homepage.

e.g. www.mycompany.com/wd can take the user directly to the WebDirect solution.

It is also possibly to specify the web folder path, so it can e.g. be stored on another hard drive. (pay attention to privileges)

Using this guide, you can make the setup within 10 min.

In this version, SSL sites is not supported. This is due to some heavy re-write rules in the configuration, which I have not been able to find an easy way around yet.

Feedback is greatly appreachiated, both here and in email.

This guide is not official supported by FMI, so any use is on your own risk.

This topic is 3709 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.