Server Maintenance This Week. ×

closed files not included in backups

This topic is 3664 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi folks,

I manage FM for a university department, and we recently upgraded to server 11.  After the upgrade, I have noticed that closed files on our server are no longer included in the daily backup (as they were with server 8.5).  I keep the closed files in the default folder, so I know that isn't the problem.  I also went through the admin console and I didn't see any option to "include closed files" or anything like that.

I like the keep closed files on our server (they are for previous semesters) because people need them every once in a while.  And I need them in the backup, because, periodically, they will be opened, changed, and closed, and I want to make sure I have the latest versions.

Thanks for your help with this.  And if you need any additional info, just ask.

Dave

Why not keep them open in the first place?  How do people open them when they "need them once in a while"?

From a workflow point of view it seem like that there is an unnecessary hurdle in opening the files and closing them again.

You could restrict access by resetting the pw instead, that would keep the most current file in your backup set without having to worry about where to go find the file.

The issue isn't so much restricting access as it is keeping the list of available databases manageable.  We run at least three different programs each semester, and I like to keep just the current year and the past year open so the list of available files isn't too overwhelming.  If I had every program we've ever run open all the time, we'd have over 70 files on our list.

I'm only asked to open an old one a few times each semester, so I don't mind.  Is there a way to include closed files in the backup?

Thanks!

Dave

Edit: in the interest of clarity -- when I say "program" up above, I'm talking about academic programs, not computer programs.

I suspect the answer to your question is no, although you may be able to add a script to your backup process that opens the files before the backup runs and then closes them afterwards.

My suggestion would be, since you are the one opening and closing the files, and since a closed file can't be modified -- hence no point really in backing it up once it's closed (assuming it got backed up before that)-- how about creating a backup schedule that includes only the databases that are normally closed, and then make it part of your SOP to run that schedule before closing one of those files. Or just run your normal backup before you close it.

Another idea: leave them all open, but in the Sharing settings, select "don't display in open remote" -- I believe you need to take the file offline to do this.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!  I still don't really understand why we lost this functionality when upgrading from 8.5 to 11, but I appreciate the suggestions.

I particularly like the idea of leaving all of them open but not displaying them in open remote.  That would seemingly solve the problem.  I'll give that a shot.

The problem with backing up a database when I open / close it is that we store our backups by date -- thus, I'd need to remember when I last edited a file in order to find the latest backup.

As a convenience for your users (and to cut down on your support requests), you could host a simple launcher file with links to the hidden files.

This topic is 3664 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.