Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Searching via value lists

This topic is 3680 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Many years ago when I was a teacher, I used a FileMaker Pro database which allowed me to search for students through the use of a field with a drop-down menu with the following value list: “All, A, B, C … X, Y, Z” and a portal which displayed the search results (as shown in the attached file).

When a letter was selected from the drop-down menu, students whose surnames began with that letter were listed alphabetically in the portal. When a surname was clicked in the portal, you went to that student’s record.

When “All” was selected from the drop-down menu, all students were displayed in the portal.

I now work in the fundraising department of a rehab hospital and would like to include the same feature in a database I use, with the portal displaying the surname, firstname and organisation the contact I am looking for works for.

If anyone has examples of this setup, I would appreciate a copy!

Please note that I consider myself a newbie on this type of thing!

Frank

Hi Metasys,

Your reply reads like you had attached a file?

Hi Frank,

In FileMaker, there are usually more than one way to do somethings. Metasys suggested a filter portal, this is probably a new feature since you last developed a file. Your description sounds like it this was done using a series of buttons (ALL A to Z) . see the file on this Link

You can also use a the Spotlight or the typeahead features.

Thank you all for your reply! Much appreciated!

However, as can be seen in the attachment, there were no buttons (one for each letter of the alphabet), but only a text field with a value list (All, A, B, C ... X, Y, Z). When a letter was selected, surnames beginning with that letter appeared in the portal (in alphabetical order). Clicking on the surname opened that person's record. Obviously, this setup appeared on all records. With my limited knowlewdge, I am assuming there was a transparent button over each surname in the portal going to that person's record (Go To Related Record?).

Unfortunaely, with the examples uploaded, I am unable to view the scripts to see how the effect was achieved.

Cheers!

Frank

post-71911-0-13557500-1397532012_thumb.j

Thank you MetaSys Software for the SearchContact_Sample file. It is what I am after! As I like to see how the file works, is it possible to upload a version of the file which would allow me to see the actual code of scripts used in the file. It will help me understand how it works and what I need to do to modify it for my database.

Again, many thanks from the Land Downunder!

Frank

"Unfortunately, with the examples uploaded, I am unable to view the scripts to see how the effect was achieved."

Frank, it is not clear what you mean by this.

In both examples, you CAN see the scripts. 

Thanks for the quick replies!

LEE - am running FileMaker 12.0.3 on my Windows work machine running XP. I use 12.0.4 on my Mac running Mountain Lion at home.

BRUCE - when I go to the Scripts Menu, "Manage Scripts" is greyed out for this file (but not for the database I want to install this feature in). It lists the script I want to view below the "Manage Scripts" menu item but selecting that only runs the script. This is happening on my Windows work machine running XP. In about 4 hours, I'll be home and will see what happens when I use my Mac. 

Will let you know what happens!

Frank

This topic is 3680 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.