Pasting text in windows into filemaker

fmow

This topic is 3686 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

May I please ask what everyone's doing with pasting text from any application in windows to filemaker to "paste to match style" as in the mac? Or perhaps scripting a reformating of the text after the pasting?

"paste to match style"

How do you do that on a Mac?  That looks like a MS Word option, not a Filemaker option.  Do you mean that you have a field formatted with Set Input Method set to 'Synchronize with Fields Font'?  I assume that this should work fine on a PC as well as a Mac, as long as you are using a font that is universal across both platforms.   See Troubleshooting layouts designed for both Windows and Mac OS

Hi fmow,

I’m not sure I’m understanding you correctly.

It is not unusual to have users paste data into fields, and if you are asking about keeping field style instead of having the style of the clipboard pasted in, then you can control this behavior in a couple of ways. One would be to the Auto Enter function and the other would be to use a script. Take a look at this help link and see if it helps. TextStyleRemove

Should have looked at my documentation more thoroughly Lee, but that's just what I am after this particular function, which I guess should implement in a large portion of my fields where copy pasting is suspected. In my db that happens mostly with copying and pasting emails and phone nos. I am also going to be looking at the textformatremove(self) script to take care of this, as per here: http://www.filemakertoday.com/com/showthread.php/25400-Generic-TextFormatRemove-script

(just listening to you guys on your show right now, btw, good stuff)

Hey Mat, just checking out your link, thanks! I am referring to the "paste and match style" option on the mac, sorry if I was confusing. This is actually called paste text only in filemaker, and adds the shift key to the usual cmd option v shortcut on the mac. It's not about synchronising field font at all. Actually I 've been looking at that too, but I still dont' have such a good grasp on it. 

A little tip...  If you paste formatted text into a field and then you realize that you didn't want to copy over the text styles, then select "undo" (Command + Z on Mac).  The first "undo" will just remove the formatting.  The second undo will remove the pasted text all together. 

BTW. you can also remove the formatted pasted text, if it has been committed already in the record, by changing the option of Auto Enter by calculation from a field type of text to a Calculation, then exit Defined Database, and then go back into the Define Database and changing it back to text. 

Or,

You can use the Replace Function (dangerous because it can’t be Undone), you will want to test it on a duplicate of the file first.

Edited by Lee Smith
changed to be a little more readable.

A little tip...  If you paste formatted text into a field and then you realize that you didn't want to copy over the text styles, then select "undo" (Command + Z on Mac).  The first "undo" will just remove the formatting.  The second undo will remove the pasted text all together. 

yeah just figured this out the other day, nifty trick and kudos to whoever thought about it!

This topic is 3686 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.