PDF Thumbnails not Generating

SoCalMacDude

This topic is 1442 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

In a script, I select a container field, choose "Insert Picture" choose a scanned PDF file then GetThumbnail(MainContainer;50;50) - it just leaves a "?" in the thumbnail field.

When I import a batch using the Import Records Script Step -> Folder -> Picture and Movie Files, using Secure Storage, choose the option to add a thumbnail to my thumbnail container field, (importing the same pdf file) it generates the thumbnail perfectly.

For user interface reasons, my users need to be able to click my import button, choose a pdf file from anywhere on their drive, and import it into a container field, generating a thumbnail in another container field.

Any ideas on how to get this thumbnail?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  :-)

Thank you so much for your reply, Bob!

I was starting to think that the forum thought I was crazy - still not a single reply to my first post since April 10th. Glad I simplified!

I replied to your thread to add more voices to your well said request. This is REDICULOUS, and very scary, indeed.  It is dangerous for Filemaker to create this kind of uncertainty in their products. If a business cannot count on features being available through "upgrades," then we cannot spend the capital it takes to develop on that platform.

Hi Dude,

Please do not multiple post your questions. I have removed your other Thread  as a duplicate.

In the future, if you have a question that goes unanswered for a reasonable amount of time, or you don’t get an answer that helps you, then it becomes your responsibility to keep your questions active until you receive an answer.

If you have any questions about my action, please feel free to contact me a Private Message.

• 5 years later...

Any progress on this? Just spend a frustrating hour trying to figure out what dumb mistake I've made when GetThumbnail returns a ? from a container field with a picture in it.

FMPA 18 Mac

FMS 18 Mac

• 1 month later...

Yeah, if my memory serves me right, the feature has been deprecated!

FileMaker decided to re-classify PDF files as FILES instead of IMAGES, so a thumbnail is not generated even when requested.

I believe I did a workaround where I have a script save an IMAGE of the imported PDF into the temp folder, re-import it as an image (perhaps into a different container field), automatically creating the thumbnail into it's container field like before, then delete the image.  That way I end up with the real PDF file imported, and a thumbnail for it in a thumbnail container field. Or maybe I imported it as a batch of 1. I don't remember, it's been years, but I got it to work with great effort!

Progress. I thought it was supposed to make things easier!

Edited by SoCalMacDude
Typo

This topic is 1442 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.