Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Cannot save as PDF in Filemaker 13 V3

Sam5271

This topic is 3392 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am unable to save as PDF in ANY File that I open.  Even like when I use a Starter Solution file like Contact or anything else.  
I get the following error message: 
“test.pdf” could not be created on this disk.  Use a different name, make more room on the disk, unlock it or use a different disk." 

I can do a Save as Excel without a problem. 
I can do a Save a Copy as of the file without a problem.  

I have FM 12 installed on the same computer and I can save in PDF there without a problem! so the issue does seem to be relating strictly to FM 13.

I am running this on a Macbook Pro.  OS X 10.9.2.  Plenty of space and 16 GB of RAM! 

The only problem is with saving as PDF which does not seem to work AT ALL.  
Please help! 

Thank you.  

Sam 

post-77919-0-07433400-1398462313_thumb.p

what is the "path" that you are trying to which you are trying to save? is it the same directory where Excel is saved? Usually there is a 'permission' problem with that error. You may need to: verfiy (and possibly repair) permission, and/or reinstall FM.

It is exactly the same folder.  The path is under documents.  I tried several folders and I could not save anywhere! 

Where would one modify permissions?   Why is it only with PDF files and not with excel or other exports????  I am so baffled! 

• 8 months later...

See this tech article.

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12003/~/unable-to-save-pdf-files-using-the-mac-os-version-of-filemaker-pro-when-using

FileMaker, Inc. has identified an issue with FileMaker Pro running on Mac OS when attempting to save records as a PDF.  Specifically, saving records as a PDF can fail in FileMaker Pro when the following are true:

• Adobe Reader 10 is installed on your system.
  • A container field optimized for interactive content is on your layout.
  • A PDF is inserted in the container field optimized for interactive content.

When you attempt to save records as a PDF when the above are true, the following error message can be displayed and the PDF is not saved to disk:

"The <filename.pdf> could not be created on this disk. Use a different name, more room on disk, unlock it or use a different disk."

WORKAROUND:

FileMaker, Inc. has not seen this issue when Adobe Reader 11 for Mac OS is installed or another non-Adobe reader is installed.

ADDITIONAL NOTES:

Once this issue occurs, you may be unable to save records as a PDF in other databases as well.  If this occurs, it is recommended that you quit out of FileMaker Pro and re-launch it.

Although the other responses are most likely the answer to the persons problem, usually a permissions or path error.   If you have had intermittent problems especially with filemaker 13 check you that tech article from filemaker.

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12003/~/unable-to-save-pdf-files-using-the-mac-os-version-of-filemaker-pro-when-using

This topic is 3392 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.