Moving Servers

This topic is 3583 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is this Mac or Windows? If it's Mac, run the MirrorSync installer on the old computer and select the uninstall option. On Windows, there should be an uninstaller in the C:Program Files360Works directory. Once you run the uninstaller, that should remove your license key from use and you can use it on the new computer.

Be sure to read this section of the documentation for tips on moving MirrorSync to another computer:

http://docs.360works.com/index.php/MirrorSync_advanced_topics#How_do_I_migrate_MirrorSync_from_one_server_to_another.3F

I am installing my solution in a test environment & will be moving the FM files and MirrorSync to a different server.  When I move them, I will be using a different MirrorSync license (my license vs. one that belongs to the man that owns the server I am using as a test environment).  I read the documentation you provided in the link yesterday, but it appears that it relates to moving the same MirrorSync license from one computer to another.  Will there be sync issues/special considerations if I am planning to move the solution to a new server with a different MirrorSync license?  If so, I would rather prepare myself for them mentally now.  :)

I am confused - in the first question, it sounds like you are asking about uninstalling the license key on server 1 and then installing it on server 2. In the second question, it sounds like you are leaving the original license key on server 1, and using a different license key on server 2?

If you do plan on using the same license key on server 2, you would need to run the uninstaller on server 1, because MirrorSync checks to make sure that the same license key is not in use in multiple places.

In either of these cases, it doesn't sound like you're concerned about keeping the sync data intact (ie. you're not going to have users syncing offline files with server 1 that need to continue to use the same offline files with server 2). In that case, it simplifies things - you don't need to copy the sync data folder at all, just export the configuration from server 1 when you're done, and import the configuration on server 2. You can import / export configurations using the MirrorSync admin utility.

Jesse,

Two different people have posted these questions in this thread. In response to the original question. Mine is hosted on one of the suggested MirrorSync hosted providers. So I can't access the uninstaller. I will have to ask the hosting provider to do the suggested uninstall.

Thanks.

Andrew

Sorry Andrew, didn't read carefully enough to see that this was two different people!

If it's a hassle to contact the hosting provider, you can e-mail me the old license key directly. I can invalidate it on our server and issue you a new one for your server.

Sorry to create the confusion Jesse & Andrew, I thought my question was closely related so I added on to the existing topic.

When I move my solution from server 1 to server 2, I will be leaving the installed MirrorSync license on server 1 and using a different license on server 2. Users will sync with server 2 versus server 1. 

I would have thought that I would want to keep the sync data intact, but am not sure based on your response that "In either of these cases, it doesn't sound like you're concerned about keeping the sync data intact (ie. you're not going to have users syncing offline files with server 1 that need to continue to use the same offline files with server 2). In that case, it simplifies things - you don't need to copy the sync data folder at all, just export the configuration from server 1 when you're done, and import the configuration on server 2. You can import / export configurations using the MirrorSync admin utility."

Thank you,

Sarah

Hi Sarah. If you wanted to move the database from server1 to server2, and you wanted the users to keep the same offline files without getting new ones from server2, and if you have some way of updating the DNS for the server1 address embedded into their current offline files to point to server2, then you would want to follow the instructions to preserve your sync data.

However, since you mention that server1 is a testing server, I'm guessing that it's not a big deal to just have people download fresh offline files once the files are moved to server2, in which case you don't need to worry about the sync data from server1.

The course of action will have to be determined when I get to that bridge.  I asked my question now b/c I thought Andrew's posting related so closely to the question in my mind.  Server 2 is yet to be purchased and we will possibly go live with the solution using Server 1 if not ready to purchase Server 2 yet.  For now I'm glad to know that the transition from server to server is possible with different MIrrorSync license keys.  Thank you for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Jesse, 

I want to confirm a few details about my retail store project before proceeding as I was finally able to get my first initial sync to complete successfully last night!

There are three entities related to my project:

Entity #1 - Located in Iowa.  Owns the current server hosting my solution (for entity # 3).  The free trial MirrorSync license currently in use is registered under the name of entity #1.

Entity #2 - Located in Iowa.  Is considering purchasing a server computer for their own business.  Most likely will also use MirrorSync functionality.  Once the server is implemented, this server would then be used to host the solution for Entity #3.

Entity #3 - A nonprofit Mexican entity.  Primary location is in Mexico, but the solution will include mobile devices and a web interface to be used for placing orders all over the world.

MirrorSync licensing:

I will need 5 licenses at this time for the retail store project.  The solution is currently setup with the free license registered to entity #1.  Should the setup be adjusted now to use a free license registered to the entity that will be purchasing the 5 licenses?  I should have asked this question earlier, but I still think that to get an answer now may save heartburn in the future.  I will need to purchase the additional licenses in the very near future.

I hope I explained my situation clearly... thank you in advance for your help & support.

Sarah

I addressed my question to Jesse b/c he had responded previously, but perhaps he is on vacation currently.  If he is unavailable and another 360Works representative familiar with MirrorSync is able to respond, I would really appreciate that.  Thank you!  (Note: I had planned to use my license key when MirrorSync was setup, but the server owner went ahead & installed his own entity #1 license and didn't give me an opportunity to do this analysis.)

I thought of another way to ask my question...

Can I leave the server with the free license, registered to entity #1 & then add a purchased license, registered to entity #3, and later transfer the purchased license to server 2 (yet to be purchased) or should I redo the configuration with a free license registered to entity #3, and then purchase the additional licenses?

Hi Sarah, sorry about the slow response.

It's never a problem to transfer license keys between machines, as long as you uninstall MirrorSync from one server before using that same license key on a different server.

You can also easily move configurations between servers by exporting from one server and importing to another.

Hello Jesse,

Thank you for the response.  No problem in the delay.

I am still unclear.  Can I use two licenses on one server for the same solution?  i.e. Free license for entity # 1 & purchased licenses for entity # 3.  When I transfer them to the new server, I would want to use a free license for entity # 3, the purchased licenses for entity # 3, and then also some licenses for entity # 2.  Is this possible?  Another option would be to have all the licenses be registered to entity # 2 (who will be purchasing the new server), but entity # 2 is not ready to use the functionality quite yet...

Thank you,

Sarah

Yes, that is possible. When you install MirrorSync, select the hosting provider option. This allows you to install multiple copies of MirrorSync, and each one can have a separate license key.

If that did not answer your question, give me a call at 770-234-9293. It might be easier to discuss on the phone.

This topic is 3583 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.