Saving a shortlist from a search

This topic is 8326 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I've got this list of items that users search through, and then save to a list. This creates data in two files.

Firstly, the List Master where with the current username it creates a list with a title as defined by the user.

Secondly, it takes information to a List Items file where the searched items that are clicked on get carried to when the user hits the save button at the bottom of the page.

Sounds easy?

Well, it was for me in FMPro where I just keep omitting the items, and then importing them to a new list. Converting this to a web system has got me beat as I can't figure out how to create a new list when the user clicks save from the search, and then how to add items to the List Items file from the first as well as follwing pages of search results.

Any help would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks

Hi,

Did it the easy but long way. As soon as a user searches I create a Master List. Every Item s/he selects gets taken across to the List Items file with the List ID in a token.

Though if anyone has got a solution that allows me to "import" records in multiple post-selection with checkboxes, do forward it to me.

[email protected]

Lets presume that I am running a Music Store on the Web. Someone comes & browses my collection, makes a search for Albums with, say, Bob Dylan and comes up with 50 different Albums.

What I would like to do is give the user an option to be able to add all 50 albums to a "Shopping Cart" by clicking one single button, instead of having to individually click on every Album's name to add it to his Cart.

Trust this explains what I'm trying to do.

That is difficult without scripts.

Did really B. Dylan make 50 albums?

Is in the world person able to listen 50 BD albums in a row?

Will that be new discipline for Guinness Book?

IMHO the only way will be with InLines.

Dear Anatoli,

As to whether any person in the world is able to listen to 50 albums at a time. Well, we all stock our fridges for atleast a week, even though we eat 1 meal at a time.

Anyway, the reason I started with 'Lets presume', and used that specific example is that everyone who's worked with Filemaker for some time, especially with v4 on the web is aware of their 'Shopping cart' example.

Re : Difficult without scripts. Do you mean Scripts running in the back in FileMaker ? Or scripts from the HTML pages ? crazy.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by Partha Dasgupta:

Re : Difficult without scripts. Do you mean Scripts running in the back in FileMaker ? Or scripts from the HTML pages ?
crazy.gif" border="0

I had in mind the FM scripts. Without them it is quite impossible.

The only way I could think of right now is with InLine tags:

On the presented result page you will have link "buy all", which will repeat the query again to different result page. Each record found will have InLine script. This InLine will generate record in "Ordered Items" database. Finally the list will be presented.

Do you think it will work for you?

And sorry about my humorous attempts. Your example with fridge was excellent! smile.gif" border="0

This topic is 8326 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.