Need help organizing database..

This topic is 3584 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi thanks for looking.  I got some advice on this board a couple weeks ago that really helped me out, so I thought I'd ask this before I went any farther.  

I'm building a database for an eBay store, and without going into too much detail, what I'd like to know is this:  

Is there a way (I imagine there is) to have one table that contains all of my records, and different tables that separate them by category?  I'd like them to be interactive, so that as a record is added to a categorical table, it is also added to the main table, and the same for deleted records.  I think that I might have to build relationships, but I'm a novice and don't understand them well.

Also, while I'm here... Is there a way to limit the amount of characters that can be entered into a field?  I'm stumped on that one.

Thanks for your help!

Is there a way (I imagine there is) to have one table that contains all of my records, and different tables that separate them by category?  I'd like them to be interactive, so that as a record is added to a categorical table, it is also added to the main table, and the same for deleted records.  I think that I might have to build relationships, but I'm a novice and don't understand them well.

I believe this was already answered in your previous thread:

http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/92044-a-database-design-question-getting-from-a-to-b/?p=422664

at point #2.

If you want to learn more about this option, then search the forums for supertype subtype.

I forgot that this was mentioned in my original post, or I would've just replied on it- Sorry.. 

I've been using the tab interface discussed in "option 1," but it turns out I need more tabs than I thought.  I am going to continue using the tab system, but I need to expand the database to account for subtle differences between broad categories.  Is it incorrect, or will I run into problems, using different layouts for each broad category?  Aren't layouts tied together in the same way as related tables?  I'm a little confused.  Also, I didn't find any messages regarding supertype subtype.

...Is that a "no-go" on character limitation?

Is it incorrect, or will I run into problems, using different layouts for each broad category?

No, it is not incorrect - and you can use script triggers to select the appropriate layout for each type of record as it's loaded.

...Is that a "no-go" on character limitation?

No, but I believe it would be best if you posted a separate question about that. People search these forums and it's not convenient to have two or more completely different topics in the same thread.

Which brings me to:

Also, I didn't find any messages regarding supertype subtype.

post-72594-0-80723200-1402088224_thumb.p

This topic is 3584 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.