Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Report Headings - simplest technique?

Wickerman

This topic is 3609 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This should be an easy one, but could people tell me what the simplest, most efficient means of enabling a user to type a Heading for the top of a sub-summary report?

What I have in mind is text that would go in the Title Header section.  I've got the report all laid out with sub-summary parts, and a button that takes the user from the main data entry / search layout to the Report okay.  I want the user to be able to scroll around, look at the report data and then Type in, say a 50-character (or whatever) heading that goes at the top of the first page.

I'm figuring a global text field . . . but where?  

I'm finding that Title Header sections don't appear in Browse Mode (right?).  I could put the field on a Header section and make it non-printing (Placing the field on the Title Header section with a merge Field - - but then I'll have this blank space on every page where the Header is just a blank space.

I could put a scripted button on the layout that pops up a little window for entry of the heading, but this seems like a lot of hassle for such a simple need.

Suggestions?

"I'm finding that Title Header sections don't appear in Browse Mode (right?)."

Well; no. What makes you say that?

EDIT: I see that the title header is viewable and the field is accessible in form view but no in list view.

See example.

Report.fmp12.zip

"I'm finding that Title Header sections don't appear in Browse Mode (right?)."

Well; no. What makes you say that?

Title Header is not shown in Browse mode when you are in List/Table view - as you naturally would be, when browsing a report.

I've used the custom dialogue before -- it's just one of those things that seems a little over-involved / unwieldy -- people often like to tweak a header several times (at least I do) an it would be nice to just be able to do it on the layout.  And yeah, this is List View.

It occurs to me now that maybe I could reduce the top margin from say 1 inch to .25" and have a .75" Header with the global fielding it and no printed objects, so there wouldn't be any gap on the page?  Then put the Merge field on the Title Header?

Anyone see any problems with this approach?

It seems to me that the real problem here is that you are trying to preview a report in Browse mode. That is somewhat possible (ever since version 10, IIRC), but it's not the same thing. IMHO, the correct (not necessarily the simplest) solution is to have two layouts - one for browsing/editing the report and one for printing it.

Thanks for the suggestions -- I actually just tried out my little work-around and it works just as I hoped.  I can see how these other approaches are valid, and they make sense -- just wanted to make sure there wasn't a simple feature I was missing.  

This topic is 3609 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.