Simple question about 2 page invoice layout(s)

DeathRobot

This topic is 3599 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm trying to create a 2-page invoice. I currently have a layout that includes a large Header, Body for line items (list view), Sub-summary for invoice total and notes, and Footer for payment info. This is the first page, and it will always only be one page long. For the second page, I will have a few fields and lots of "small print." It will also always only be one page. Is it "better" to somehow include this second page on the same layout as the first, or just create a new layout and script the printing/saving as PDF?

Thanks!

Michael

Michael,

Typically sense its a list view layout sliding object and parts don't led a elegant way to create a "second page" or a concept of a closing footer ( something that would only appear on the last page)

One option is to draw the invoice from the invoice table and use a portal (provided you have an idea how many rows you will need ) and may need to add a portal to the second page and start its first row at the max rows on page 1   + 1 

In this case your invoice layout would be two pages tall and you would only need the BODY part. 

You are using FMP13 so you could also use the hide object feature and hide the portal on the second page if the number of rows in your line items won't exceed the first page. Sliding should slide up with your second page small print.

However if you have to sub summarize the invoice line items then a portal would not facilitate this.

Depending on your business rules ( a PDF invoice would be typically emailed. )  it may be easier to create separate layouts and just append to PDF switching layouts as needed. 

Hi Fitch,

So I would have:

FIRST PAGE                    SECOND PAGE

Title Header

Header and/or…

Body (list view)

Sub-summary

Title Footer

Footer

?

The problem with Title footer and Title Header is that they only appear on the FIRST page if your intent is to have the small print at the bottom of the second or last page that's where it gets tricky - alternatively you could put the small print in the trailing grand Summary as this will appear on the last page before the footer.

Hi Stephen,

If I understand correctly, I think Tom's idea will work. I'd have…

Title Header: first page header info

Header: the entire second page, which contains a few fields and all the "small print"

Body (list view): first page invoice line items

Sub-summary: first page invoice total and notes that always come right beneath the last body item

Title Footer: first page footer

The header would fill an entire single page, and I suppose if I needed it to, could also extend to a third page. I don't have a lot of experience with printed layouts with lots of parts, so will have to try it out. If it doesn't, I'll probably go to your scripted two layout method.

In that case, does the user's print setup choices remain valid for all layouts (e.g. if the script calls up a print dialog and the user wants to print 3 copies, does that choice remain active as the script goes to the various layouts and prints from each of them?

the down side to multi layout printing and wishing to do quantities say 3 of the invoice is that of course it will be two print operations and therefore not be collated. 

In the past I had just did the PDF operation and trained the user to print the quantities from the PDF.

Tom is right that if your header is a full height page the second page should be just your page, and the body and remaining parts should fall on to the third page.

And of course the downside to the title header/footer method is that it's only good for printing a single invoice at a time.

You know, if it's really true that your body items won't go over a page, you might consider printing from the invoice table rather than the line items -- and use a portal for the line items. Then you could forget headers and sliding and all that and just arrange your various layout elements on one tall body part.

Well there is another option - but it's much more complex

You could use a virtual list technique and inject additional rows for the "small print" data that can appear anywhere and then your just printing a sub-summaries list view. 

basically a mashup of all the rows of your line items plus additional small print content, 

this could give you ability to add the small print text as business logic and not require it to be static on the layout it could be customized per contract or change over time. 

This topic is 3599 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.