Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Problem with IN sub clause

This topic is 3598 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a query along the lines of

ExecuteSQL ( "SELECT IDa, Name, Age FROM tableA WHERE  IDa IN ( SELECT IDb FROM tableB WHERE IDc = '1234' )" ; "XX"; "YY" )

I have removed most of the fields to be returned as well as additional WHERE criteria that is working.

I need the XX and YY in the outside query, but I need commas as the record separator for the IN ( SELECT... sub query

Am I missing something obvious....

Sorry, I clearly didn't provide enough information.  

I realise that your suggestion is technically a good solution.  In my circumstances I have a single ExecuteSQL which is dynamically generated.  A variable contains either a basic WHERE structure and or the IN sub query.  To take your suggestion would require fundamental re structuring of what is a parameter driven generic process which I'd rather avoid.

I tried nesting ExecuteSQL, but was unable to get it to work.  I was hoping that there was something clever in SQL itself that would help me (not being an expert myself)

Actual query look more like this

ExecuteSQL ( "SELECT " & $fieldlist & " FROM " & $tablename & " WHERE  " & $whereQuery AND active = 1 " ;  "XX"; "YY" )

Where $whereQuery is either

"IN ( SELECT " & $inField & " FROM " & $inTable &" WHERE " & $qField & " = '" & $qData & "' )" 

Or more usually

"$qField & " = '" & $qData & "'" 

Thanks for your input.  In responding I have thought of a couple of ideas to try...

This topic is 3598 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.