Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Layout problem

This topic is 8676 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Currently, each record in the database is set up where the top section is the user information, and the bottom is the course the user has signed up for. Each record only shows one course, and a user can have multiple records with different courses for each record. How do I create a layout which shows the user's information once on the top part, and on the bottom is a list of ALL the courses the user has chosen?

Thanks,

Anita smile.gif

This is a situation that really wants to be two related FileMaker files (in fact it's a classic example). The first file would be "Users". A record in this file would contain user information (one record per user). The second file would be "Courses". A record in this file is a User/Course. Relate the two files using a field in "Users" with an auto entered serial number (call it UserID). The corresponding field in "Courses" could also be called UserID. From "Users" setup a relationship where UserID(in "Users") relates to UserID(in "Courses). View information from a layout in the User file with the User's information at the top of the layout and a portal at the bottom of the layout showing "related" records from the "Courses" file. - bd

Thanks, this would work fine and all, except that the user is submitting the information through the web, and with this solution, everytime i have a new user, i would have to create a new record in two databases and I'm not sure how to do that...

Thanks for the help anyway!

Anita

This topic is 8676 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.