Dynamically filtering a portal

This topic is 3546 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all,

NightWing Enterprises has an interesting demo called 'Instant Search'. It lets you type in a a list view of records into a global field and matching records are shown as you type, similary to a web search engine.

I wonder if it's possible to do something like that in a portal, as I'm starting to move away from the list views. I prefer a record view, but with an all-match relationship portal off to the side to quickly switch between records without switching layouts.

It would be great to have, say a search box in which you can type 'a' and all records that start with 'a' on a particular field are shown. Continue to type 'af' and only records starting with 'af' are shown, etc.

I thought this might be possible without script triggers, only through a relationship, but I can't get it to work. Is it possible?

Thanks,

Stefan

I'm on v10 normally. I also have a machine with v13 as of last week, but I don't have regular access to it (unlike my wife ;-)).

@eos: thanks for sending the demo - I'll check it out on the other machine later this week - unfortunately, it won't open on v10. Does it require v12+ in terms of features?

Thanks,

Stefan

OK, i'll come back when i had a chance to look at the demo. I'm still annoyed that FM13 won't install on my MacPro, because it maxes out at OSX 10.7 - sheesh!

Thanks in the meantime,

Stefan

See here or a sample file employing a couple of different approaches.

EDIT: Just realized you're on 10 … here's an fp7 version. Now I need to watch WC …  :laugh:

Just tried out your demo which works great... but is locked. But now I saw you uploaded also an fp7 version which works just as well - thanks so much. It has the quirk of exiting the field after each typed character, but I saw in your comments that the field needs an object name and after assigning one it works perfectly. Just what I needed.

On a side note: the fp13 version requires a double click to enter a field for typing. Is that a new 'feature' of v13? I haven't really dabbled into this version, but that strikes me as odd.

Thanks again from Starnberger See :-)

Stefan

• 1 month later...

This topic is 3546 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.