Database Download Question + Adding Sync Layouts Question

This topic is 3487 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am looking for other methods of downloading the database aside from using the safari browser.  Trying to allow the user to download a copy of the database from within a filemaker filer.

I thought maybe an insert from URL into a container field might work, and then export the contents - but it seems to just put a broswer link the conainer field rather than the actual downloaded file.

Next I thought I would just try an Open URL script step - but again it fails to load unless the user clicks on the "Open in Safari" link.

Any ideas on how I might implement this functionality?

The reason I need it I am trying to allow the user to update their database from within their existing file. I have everything working except for the ability to download the latest filemaker file. 

Second Question:

Is it possible to add additional "sync" layouts to MirrorSync and still allow existing users that have not updated to the newest file to still sync? For example, I add some new functionality to my database that now syncs XYZ table. The old users wont even have the table yet, but I still want them to be able to sync until they receive the new file that has XYZ table in it. I am thinking they will receive an error that they are missing fields when they try to sync.

I don't have an answer for you on the first question - I haven't done much experimentation with that.

As for the second question, yes, it is supported to add new sync layouts and/or fields on existing layouts, and to run through the configuration on the server with those new fields and layouts. Existing offline files that do not have those new layouts or fields will continue to sync fine with the layouts and fields that they do have.

The exception to this is if you rename / delete fields that are used in the sync; that will cause the sync to fail. So adding new stuff is fine, re-naming or deleting existing stuff will break.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have an answer for you on the first question - I haven't done much experimentation with that.

Funny I am researching this same dilemma and found same results as mdavis.  However, I think I know what the issue is (at least in part. When the url is opened in Safari it initiates and then redirects it to the url plus "a=1" or something like this.  I am wondering if this redirection is muddling up "insert from url" and "Open URL"  If so, is there anyway this could be addressed?  My client is not very savvy when it comes to tech and downloading via Safari is an extra layer I would like to avoid.  Im going for "Push the button to check for and download an update. " Help?

Hi Nuos - you're right, I didn't think of the redirect causing the problem.

This can be fixed by appending ?status=0 to the end of the download URL. That will download the file directly, without a redirect. That should allow it to be inserted directly into a container field.

Thanx Jessie

With this change a web viewer does not work --> "Frame Load Interruption" error. Ditto Open URL.  

BUT insert from URL works!  AWESOME

• 1 month later...

I'd like to expand the second question somewhat to include changes to parameters in the Sync configuration, such as changing the table configuration for a table from being bi-directional to, say "Read from hub and write to spoke."  Are these types of changes incorporated into the Mirror Sync script that is copied/pasted to the server copy of the spoke database?  Will I need to have remote users download a new copy of the spoke database for this type of change to be effective?  Will this "break" the sync if done without updating the spoke database(s)?

Craig

Hi Craig - I don't *think* that changing the sync direction would require re-pasting script steps or distributing new offline files. However, I have not tried that myself, so I can't be 100% sure.

I do know that changing any table from MirrorSync-managed to Developer-managed keys, or vice versa, would require new files to be distributed.

This topic is 3487 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.