Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Selective format

This topic is 3560 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all.

Hopping a guru can enlighten me. I have a field called "Service Performed" next to this field I have bottom with the below script.

TextStyleAdd(TextSize(ticket::Service Performed" & "- " & Get (accountName) & "- " & "" & Get(currenthosttimestamp) & "Enter" ; 12 ); Bold)

The basic idea is as users are typing and a new event needs to be entered a users would press the bottom and a time stamp with the username is inserted.

It works find except the formatting. Now what I would like to happen is to either bold or change the color of the inserted line. but what I get is the entire field in bold.

Is this possible.

thanks

RudyM 

but what I get is the entire field in bold.

Your issue lies with using the correct order of evaluation.

Since nested expressions are evaluated from the inside out, you're effectively adding the new entry to the existing field contents, then format the result – while what you actually want to do is add a formatted new entry to the existing contents.

Using Let() can make this clearer, e.g.

Let ( [
      newLine = ticket::Service Performed" & " – " & Get (accountName) & " – " & Get( currenthosttimestamp ) & "Enter" /* what's 'Enter'? */ ) ; // the new line
      formattedLine = TextStyleAdd ( TextSize ( newLine ; 12 ) ; bold ) 
      ] ;
       List ( ticket::Service Performed ; formattedLine ) // result is existing contents and a new, formatted line
  )

That being said, consider using a related table and add a record for whatever it is you're storing in a single line, with fields for the entity itself, and for metadata like timestamp, user etc..

Then you can calculate these discrete pieces of data into whatever result you need, and format the display, instead of the data.

This topic is 3560 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.