Count of values found in multiple fields

This topic is 3535 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Yup, stuck again. First Robin Williams, then Lauren Bacall, now FileMaker vexing me; I don't know how much more I can take. :S 

Please refer to the attached screenshot of the solution I'm building.

What I'm trying to do is count the number of times a value is repeated under each heading. For example, under Educational Facilitator, I can see there are four 0s, three 1s, three 2s, three 3s, and two 4s; I need to have FileMaker count, then summarize those counts for each heading.

Now, the particulars:

This is all in one table (online_evaluations). It was suggested to me this morning that I should create a child table which would record only the number (value) for each field in a record by itself but I don't know how to "push", say, EF2 into a child record that would record both the "2" and the field name (EF2), then summarize it later. 

The questions are static text labels--they're the same for all the records in this db so I don't think I need a separate table for them.

So, I how do I go about setting this up? Swing a chicken over my head three times or...? As an aside, I took a look at this but didn't know what to make of it: http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/beeff7fcd9

TIA for your help!

post-76798-0-42276500-1407966919_thumb.p

This is all in one table (online_evaluations). It was suggested to me this morning that I should create a child table which would record only the number (value) for each field in a record by itself

Which is the correct answer. This has been discussed several times, under the general heading of survey / questionnaire; just search this forum.  :smile:

To briefly reiterate: use a structure like …

SurveyType --< Surveys --< Survey|Subject --< Survey|Subject|Questions >-- Questions >-- Categories >-- SurveyType

The record in your screenshot would be Survey|Subject; what now are fields will be related records in Survey|Subject|Questions, each with a foreign key for a question that correlates to a current field, and a category that lets you group them (your current heading).

Script the setup of the child records (questions) for a survey by creating duplicates of all questions that match the Categories of the SurveyType of the Survey. (Try to say that three times fast …), either via import or a looping script

If you use a summary layout, you can group the questions by category and display the results as summary fields; or from the context of the parent record, show the records in filtered portals, together with one related summary field per portal.)

Versions 12 and v13 share the same file extension, much like versions 7, 8, 8.5, 9, 10, and 11 share the extension of 7. However, v13 has functions that v12 can not use. It is the same with 7 - 11.

If this wasn’t your question, then please clarify.

Lee

Lee, that wasn't what I was asking(but I have often wondered that). I was asking specifically about the calculated result in the screen shot for the total result for "dedicated professional".

What I'm trying to do is count the number of times a value is repeated under each heading. For example, under Educational Facilitator, I can see there are four 0s, three 1s, three 2s, three 3s, and two 4s; I need to have FileMaker count, then summarize those counts for each heading.

Do you mean for each record individually, or for all records together?

This topic is 3535 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.