automatic recurring Import

This topic is 3533 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi I struggling with automatic recurring Imports. I am trying to import excel worksheets into a filemaker layout, I need to format the default table view to a suitable list view to add button scripts etc and improve the presentation.

Everything works well on a single layout, However when i try use the layout to import another worksheet from the same document nothing imports ??

If I try and setup a clean import on a new layout with default settings everything works ok but i have lost all my design formatting.. 

any advise on what Im Missing? (apart from brain cells!)

Thanks in advance

I am trying to import excel worksheets into a filemaker layout

Everything works well on a single layout

If I try and setup a clean import on a new layout with default settings everything works ok but i have lost all my design formatting.. 

I believe one thing you are missing (from the FileMaker side) is the concept that you do not import records into a layout but rather into a table.  Layouts are based upon a specific table (see Layouts > Layout Setup > and the 'show records from' popup.

If you want to use the same layout objects and format, duplicate the layout.  However, if the data being imported is identical where you can want to use the same layout, then the records should be imported into the same table.

• Like 1

Ok thanks for the replies I managed to sort my issue by duplicating the layout then then changing the tables etc to point to the new worksheet data.

I am however left with one remaining issue I don't yet understand, the XLS document which is the data source for my database.

I have filemaker server 13 and this document is on a local path to the server, but for this to be opened on a client workstation what path should be used in the script?

Thanks again

This topic is 3533 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.