Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 3509 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi All,

I'm new to EasySync and just started looking at syncing a simple one table database with two container fields before I move onto some of the more complicated databases i'm looking to use EasySync for. For these container fields i've created the two B64 calculation fields as requested in the setup documentation.

The sync itself has completed successfully however when looking at the container fields I can see an encoded string returned rather than the data found in the container field I was expecting (These container fields are capturing a photo from an IOS device and a signature).

I can see in the troubleshooting that this can be caused by the compress option in Filemaker but cant find anywhere that this field is being compressed so don't think this is the reason why. I've tried storing these files externally and internal to the database but neither of these options has changed the output.

Has anyone else experienced this when syncing container fields and if so where's the best place to look to resolve this? 

Thanks for your help in advance.

David

Hi Tim,

When exporting the container contents (when connecting directly to the database hosted on my Filemaker Server Dev environment) all export as originally taken.

The files have been imported into the container field as Photo  + timestamp or Signature + timestamp E.G. Signature 03-09-2014 14.11.56

The iPad is defining the filename not the database, I'm guessing I could attempt to define the filename as part of the import script if you think this would help? 

I'm happy to pass over the hosted database details for you to have a look yourself if this would help as no files are confidential? If you are willing to do this please PM me. I'm also happy to upload the offline version of the file i'm using for sync purposes.

Thanks again for attempting to resolve this for me.

David

David --

I was able to sync both the photo and the signature without any problems. I tested pushing and pulling, and the conversion from Base64 to the actual images worked properly in both cases.

I suspect that the problem has to do with how the files were imported into the container fields - and again, it sounds like the files are (or were) compressed when at that time. You might want to experiment with this a bit. Try importing them using "Insert file" and so on, and see if the results change.

I wish I could be of further help... 

-- Tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your help. The Insert file option was doing exactly the same, which made me look back at your demo file and the calculation of the Base 64 encode field used for the syncing of container fields.

In the demo file the calculation is: Document & "<b64>" & Base64Encode ( Document ) & "</b64>"

However in the documentation on the easysync website it states: Document & "" & Base64Encode ( Document ) & ""

Maybe i've read this wrong when setting up the sync for my own database, and to be honest I feel slightly stupid that I didn't refer back to your demo file earlier, as when I added the <b64> </b64> into my calculation field all files sync'd succesfully.

It's all sorted now anyway and I appreciate your help and your time in creating such a great sync program and distributing it open source. I cant wait to see what comes next :)

Thanks again,

David

• 2 weeks later...

Dear FMF,

I got a simillar Problem - After Updating, the mobile Database only show the Filename and a Icon for the FileType. On exporting the Field Content the Real File get's exportet, so I think the File is downloaded right.

But it gets wrong decoded at client site.

How to solve that?

BR,

51m0n

Hi Simon,

Have you checked that the container field on the remote copy can view files correctly when you manually insert a file into the container field? It sounds as if its more of a layout issue rather than a sync issue if you can export the field content ok.

What type of file type is it that you are inserting into the container field? Have you tried optimising the field for "interactive content and enabling start playback automatically" from the inspector?

HTH

David

Dear Browny,

I'd like to use .wmf files. I need this file type, because in the application are often images from PowerPoint pasted.

Sometimes the image is shown as it should and sometimes not. I found no special rule or pattern for the apperance of the problem.

Playing with the "interactive content.." option didn't solve the problem.

BR,

Simon

Hi Simon,

I dont think this is an issue with EasySync and more an issue with Filemaker and how it handles certain files stored in container fields.

A quick google search provided me with the following (how correct this is im not sure as i've never really tried to store anything but JPEG or PDF's in container fields):

FMP seems designed to store and export various image types, but not to display them (displaying/printing the jpeg preview instead).

Link: http://filemaker.463488.n4.nabble.com/FMP-handling-of-Windows-Extended-Metafile-td502396.html

HTH

David

This topic is 3509 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.