Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Schema functions see external sources as local

This topic is 3532 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Well, that title may not fit exactly but here's the issue:  An FM file referenced as an external data source will not open on its own (in the parent file) until it is first referenced on a layout of the parent.  This reference could act from ANY calculation such as:  conditional formatting, tooltip, hide, merge variables, custom menu calcs ... there are MANY ways calculations can exist on a layout.  

So any calculation which references another file from the current layout will open the second file.  But I did not expect this to open a second file ...

For a changelog process, I am capturing schema at startup and then at close, comparing it to produce a list of only deleted, added and changed tables/fields.  I was using:

ExecuteSQL ( 
"SELECT 
    TableName,
     FieldName,
    ModCount
FROM FileMaker_Fields" 
; "" ; ""  )

I would have thought that only the parent file's information would be included but instead, if there is a table occurrence from your other file, it will include that information as well.  So setting a global variable with this calculation referenced the other file since it was in the graph and forced the data file to open.

I just thought others might be interested in my unexpected results.  It makes sense when you think about it but it was not as I would have expected.

• Like 2

For anyone interested or not yet aware of these hidden functions, here is a link:  

http://www.anvildataworks.com/?p=1251/

By using these links functions (but replacing with their internal unique Ids), we can leverage a powerful group of information dynamically for use in scripting as well as providing great changelogs. 

replaced 'links' with 'functions'

Edited by LaRetta

This topic is 3532 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.