Trying to add linefeed to HTML template, rather I am loosing linefeed

RodM

This topic is 2510 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi...

For instance I have a $var
  which is a text field that i've  added items with line feds   ( FM Paragraph Icon we use)

So the layout format ..image might look like

item1= $10

itme2= $11

item3= $12

Then I do a substitute command of  $var    ..into a $HTML_template var

This is my way of creating a  .. Invoice Form

When I do substitute.. i loose the  line fed  and my field looks like

item1= $10item2= $11item3= $12

I've tried doing a substitute  Paragraph return for a <B>  or a html line break but only to cause text to be  Bold  

Somewhere I think.. not being a html person... spaces and linefeds are auto removed?

Do i make sense?

Any ideas?

TIA   rod

I am guessing.. its not a FM problem now..and i should be asking HTML forum... if i know of one?

Here is the HTML code results of the subst...

When i stick code in a new htlm page in Dreamweaver... and preview the is no line break

<div style="POSITION:absolute;TEXT-ALIGN:left;WIDTH:264px;FONT-FAMILY:Verdana;HEIGHT:89px;COLOR:#222222;FONT-SIZE:10px;OVERFLOW:hidden;TOP:445px;LEFT:20px;border-top-width:thin;border-left-width:thin;border-right-width:thin;border-bottom-width:thin">Special services  $25<b>Books                $75<b>Total =              $100<b></b></b></b></div>

<div style="POSITION:absolute;TEXT-ALIGN:left;WIDTH:264px;FONT-FAMILY:Verdana;HEIGHT:89px;COLOR:#222222;FONT-SIZE:10px;OVERFLOW:hidden;TOP:445px;LEFT:20px;border-top-width:thin;border-left-width:thin;border-right-width:thin;border-bottom-width:thin">Special services  $25<b>Books                $75<b>Total =              $100<b></b></b></b></div>

Let me repeat and emphasize: it's

<br>

, not <b>

– and you don't need </br>

if i know of one?

Rod, I don't know the answer to that question  :laugh:  – but using Google any old search engine would be a start … or look here:

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_br.asp

%2

gosh I am so blind... stupid of me... 
i did not see the R...  in <BR> your  first reply.. and you were clear..

thanks again

I will try this

A side note to this: writing your own HTML code using Filemaker text functions is very laborious and error-prone. Filemaker offers a much more convenient mechanism through exporting as XML, while using a custom XSLT stylesheet to transform the result to the HTML of your choice.

This topic is 2510 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.