Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Unlimited Redirect

This topic is 8174 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Considering upgrading to v5.5 of FMPro and was floored to be advised by FMPro Tech Support that the Server product cannot provide Web-access to hosted databases, that I must have a second machine running unlimited that redirects requests.

I am finding this very hard to believe and need a non-FileMaker employee to confirm this piece of bad news.

My first thought was to run unlimited on the same box as the Server, but was told not to due to sharing complications.

Hi Ken,

Yes, the folks at Filemaker are correct. Unlimited is the 'web serving' version of FMPro. It is just like the regular version of FMPro except that it allows an unlimited number of IP address to access it. The regular version only allows 10 different IP addresses in a 24 period. The server version is a backend host for FMPro clients only. The unlimited version would connect to the server version and then serve up the web based requests.

As to running Unlimited and Server on the same box, it can be done but I would'nt do it. You would'nt run SQL Server and your Web server on the same box would you?

The best configuration is to use 3 computers. 1 for FM Server, 1 for FM Unlimited and 1 for your actual web server. This allows for the fastest access letting each component do it's job. The database server serving up the databases. The unlimited doing the web database requests and the web server serving static HTML and images.

Hope this helps,

Martin

[ July 09, 2001: Message edited by: mwiedemann ]

[ July 09, 2001: Message edited by: mwiedemann ]

RE: ... The best configuration is to use 3 computers. 1 for FM Server, 1 for FM Unlimited and 1 for your actual web server. This allows for the fastest access letting each component do it's job. The database server serving up the databases. The unlimited doing the web database requests and the web server serving static HTML and images...

In this configuration the FM Server is not necessary at all. Actually to host files directly of Unlimited will be faster.

Only if you are planing using Server anyway, or use more Unlimiteds feeding the web, Server is recommended.

Screen.JPG

Thanks for responses.

Both responses suggesting having a 3rd computer for the Web. I am not sure what you both mean by this. Verio hosts my domain and my Web site. I was thinking I would simply have a link on my Web site that pointed to the Unlimited box.

Is Verio the 3rd computer that you both refer to, or do I need a 4th computer performing something specific for FMPro that Unlimited and Server and Verio are not providing?

You need at least 1 computer with Unlimited with IP address. It can be the same as main web server and then the FM Unlimited will use port 591.

BTW Sausalito is really nice place to live...

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: Anatoli ]

• 4 months later...

This topic is 8174 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.