server won't open files, clients can't see files

This topic is 3443 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I downloaded and installed FMS Server 13 Trial  on an iMac running 10.9.5 (Mavericks) . Nothing else is running.

I believe the deployment was successful- in fact, it is very straightforward. It's on one machine.

There is one problem: Clicking on Activity/Databases, I see the databases that I uploaded, including FMServer_sample. The problem? When I select one of the uploaded files, then click on the icon on the upper right (looks like a folder), I select 'Open', but nothing happens; the file stays closed.

This might explain why I can't see any of the server files from client machines running FMA 13 in Yosemite. They do see the server (at 192.168.1.105), but they see no Filemaker files in the file picker.

The firewall is open on both the server and the client. I've been poring through the forum and don't see anyone else with the issue so maybe it's just simple? 

I've seen references to Bonjour; not sure what role it plays, but it's running. And I saw a post that outlined the files that should be visible in Activity Monitor; I have all of them running. I've checked and double-checked that the data files are in the correct folder (filemac:/server/Library/FileMaker Server/Data/Databases/). I tried defining a different folder, but that doesn't work, either.

I'm stumped.

Not to be obvious, but I assume the users on the client machines are choosing "remote" in the file picker dialog. Also, clicking "open" on a file from the Admin Console doesn't open the file. It just makes it available to client machines.

There is one problem: Clicking on Activity/Databases, I see the databases that I uploaded, including FMServer_sample. The problem? When I select one of the uploaded files, then click on the icon on the upper right (looks like a folder), I select 'Open', but nothing happens; the file stays closed.

The filemaker server event log will tell you why the file can not be opened.

If you did not use FMP to upload the files to FMS, chances are that the OS-level privileges are not set correctly on the files, FMS has to own them.  Check the OS-level privileges on the sample file and do the same on your files.

"Not to be obvious", writes Rick. Duh! Nothing is too simple to forget, although in this case yes, I know about the 'remote' button.

And thanks, Wim, for your help. In the end I just gave up: wiped the machine, fresh OS, fresh FMS, everything works. It actually turns out that permissions WAS the issue (in case someone in the future has the same problem). But in my case, mucking about had caused Safari to be unable to find localhost. Easier to just re-install. It's a dedicated machine anyway.

We are taking baby steps. First the trial, then most likely the $99/year that allows a few remote users. Somewhere in there I have to sort out lots of photos in containers and make that work, too.

Very next thing is setting up Airport Extreme.

Then, the big plunge. Thanks for the friendly help.

This topic is 3443 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.