Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Window Numbering ?

This topic is 3432 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

Not sure here … ?

I have a client who wants to number their windows in the "Title" ...

And it turns out that the calc looks like this for the active window that opens … 

ValueCount ( Window ( Get ( FileName ) ) ) &" of "& ValueCount ( Window ( Get ( FileName ) ) ), so ... "5 of 5" for example.

The only problem I have is when the customer opens / closes windows the calculations for the other windows are static and I am not sure if there is a way to auto update the other windows without having to navigate to each open window and recalculate.

Is there a way to auto update / number the other window as the user closes and open them ??

Thank you.

Tom

Wim,

Well, the client requested that new layouts open to a new window and stack with an offset and then close the active window by "Command W".  I change the window title to the obvious tittle but apparently "Naming" is not what is desired.  I will be requesting more clarity and maybe provide a different results that would be acceptable.

I didn't want to put my foot in my mouth by saying "NO" if there was a process out there that I was not familiar with and it just so happened to be the one video the client watched on YouTube from someone like Matt from ISO Filemaker Magazine. Ha Ha :-)  Matt I love your stuff :-)

So, just making sure before responding back to my client.

Thank you.

Tom

Many open windows carry other risks that I would want to avoid:

- performance

- locking yourself out of a record because it is open in another window

- user getting lost & firing scripts from the menu in the wrong context

• Like 1

Just to expand on the point Wim made: "locking yourself out of a record because it is open in another window".

There is a strong possibility that you run a script that runs on multiple records, and not all of the records get updated...because one or more of them are locked. There are times FM will not throw an error message for you, and there are times where a user just clicks "Ok" or "Continue" not knowing the problem it can cause. In either case, you end up with some records changed, some not...and no way of knowing that the data in not accurate. And when the reports are wrong...they WILL blame you. ;)

• Like 1

This topic is 3432 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.