Identifying tab order?

LaRetta

This topic is 3404 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is there any way to identify the tab order of fields on a layout?

I have a layout with 100+ fields (in multiple tab controls) and I am attempting to compare two semi-identical files to see if the tab order has been changed.

I can get the field names with FieldNames ( Get ( FileName ) ; Get ( LayoutName ) ) ... but tab order does not appear to be gathered anywhere, not even in DDR.  I'm thinking I'll just have to eyeball it.  

Hi Wim!!

Good idea but they don't have object names.  Even if I object-name them, they appear in LayoutObjectNames() in stacking order which isn't necessarily correct either.

Maybe I could write a script which uses Go To Next Field[] (and writes the field names to multiline).  I shall try that next!

edited:  added bold

Edited by LaRetta

This seems to work:

remove this => # Manually go to first field in tab order before firing
Go To Field [ ] //  to remove cursor from field
Go To Next Field [ ]  //  to take cursor to first field in tab order
Set Variable [ $start; Value:Get ( ActiveFieldName ) ]
Loop
Exit Loop If [ Get ( ActiveFieldName ) = $start and ValueCount ( $result ) > 1 ]
Set Variable [ $result; Value:List ( $result ; Get ( ActiveFieldName ) ) ]
Go to Next Field
End Loop
Set Variable [ $$result; Value:$result ]

In all my years in this business, this is the first time I've wanted/needed to compare tab order!  I'll need to disable triggers first but that's already in place anyway.

Edit:  modified script as suggested by Comment (see red above)

• Like 2

Well I learned another wonderful little tid-bit today!  Thank you!!  In fact, my mind reels ... this isn't a 'little' tid-bit at all.  Much appreciated!

corrected auto-spell correction  :*)

Oh!  Go To NEXT field!  I removed my excitement-misinterpretation.  What a nice way to jump to the beginning of fields!  I modified my script accordingly. :-)

Edited by LaRetta

Something to think about: what if the first field in tab order has another instance on the same layout? I don't see a simple solution for that - the only thing comes to mind is to compare the field's bounds in addition to the field's name in the exit condition.

OMG, I had just been thinking about possibility of duplicate records so I've been testing.

- - - - - Prior to the loop, add next step. Mark the left/top position so it can be found next time around

Set Variable [ $position ; LeftWords ( FieldBounds ( Get ( FileName ) ; Get ( LayoutName ) ; $start ) ; 2 ) ]

- - - - - Then Exit Loop would be changed to:

Exit Loop If [ 
Get ( ActiveFieldName ) = $start and ValueCount ( $result ) ≥ 1 and $position = LeftWords ( FieldBounds ( Get ( FileName ) ; Get ( LayoutName ) ; $start ) ; 2 ) 

If two identical fields were potentially stacked in same location, Michael, it could get messy for sure. Your idea will work using its bounds (as above) but I was a bit deflated when I was just bitten ... I don't walk layouts very often and I had forgotten ... Go To NEXT Field will only enter fields on the top tab panel - and just testing, same with Sliders (top panel only) and it won't jump to Popover at all - only visible (not hidden) fields.

I guess by now I could have manually compared them or attached object names (even numbering them) along the lines you suggested, Wim. It's really too bad that we can't object-name by calculation. :-)

FM must store the tab order somewhere. It must be attached to the object attribute somehow. In all, a great learning experience as always! Thank you both so much!

Okay, LaRetta, quit playing FileaMaker and go to bed!!   :zzz:

This topic is 3404 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.