connecting through web

This topic is 8318 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I had a question on launching filemaker pro over the web. I do not wish to display data through a website.

I would like to have a button link that when clicked on, launches your File Maker software and connects to the File Maker server where your file is stored.

Is there anyway to link to a filemaker file over an IP.. like http://127.0.0.1/blahblah?file.fp5

Perhaps over some port?

Thanks

Kyle

It takes a couple of steps, but it doesn't get much simpler than this. To accomplish this, use a "launcher" FM file. Just a simple file with no fields and one script.

1) Create a new file in FileMaker, make sure your copy is setup for TCP/IP networking and you have an active internet connection.

2) Create a script with the the script step "Open". Click "Specify Host", type in the IP address of the server, select the file to be opened. The script can also have the "Close" script step to close itself after opening the remove file you desire.

3) Use the "Preferences" menu item to make the script you created a startup script.

4) Place the launcher file on the desktop for easy access. That's it!

The only other aspect is to make sure that the machine FM Server is running on is accessable over the internet.

-bd

• Newbies

I was more wondering if this can be done from one click in a web browser?

Link something that opens up a file on a machine that is connected to the network with your File Maker software.

Thanks

Years and years ago FM Inc (or Claris back then) was touting that Netscape could be set up to associate .fp3 files with the FMP application, so that when you clicked on a database on a web page it downloaded the file and opened it in FMP.

I realise that this is not what you meant directly, but afaik this and the opener file re your two options.

This topic is 8318 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.