Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Open layout as new record

This topic is 3410 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi All,

Is it possible to always open a layout as a fresh new record each time without the option of seeing any records that have already been input? My layout is a form with all other views disabled. This is simply a data entry form that is fire and forget.

Many thanks

Attach an OnLayoutEnter script trigger to th layout that fires a script with the New Record/Request script step. This is probably going to lead to alot of extra records especially if you are using multiple windows. I would suggest that if this is infact a data entry only layout that you might want to base the layout on a table with globals then after data is entered ONLY then is the new record created.. Its a more transactional aproach and allows for programatic validation and massaging of data before any record is ever created.

Thank you - that is great, I tied in a zoom lock there as well so it looks great on the ipad now :-)

Attach an OnLayoutEnter script trigger to th layout that fires a script with the New Record/Request script step. This is probably going to lead to alot of extra records especially if you are using multiple windows. I would suggest that if this is infact a data entry only layout that you might want to base the layout on a table with globals then after data is entered ONLY then is the new record created.. Its a more transactional aproach and allows for programatic validation and massaging of data before any record is ever created.

This seems very sensible advice - I will take a look at this. Would this mean substantial re-engineering?

Is it possible to always open a layout as a fresh new record each time without the option of seeing any records that have already been input?

It's possible, but hardly advisable. Users should not "go to a layout". They should indicate they want to create a new record - and then a script would take them to the appropriate layout AND create a new record for them.

you might want to base the layout on a table with globals then after data is entered ONLY then is the new record created.

I would advise - rather strongly - against that. It requires managing two sets of fields for each table where you'd want to implement this. There are much better ways to prevent accidental commits of draft records (I agree that is a concern that needs to be addressed).

• Like 1

Comment - with all due respect what issues do you see with the global - scripted create aproach? Ive used it in several aapplications and, while it does require two sets of fields in the schema, its fairly easy to script and seems to be robust

This topic is 3410 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.