stderr log - newsyslog management

This topic is 3043 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

It appears that 360Works plugins like to write a lot of data to the stderr log in FileMaker.  As such this log grows considerably when frequently running server side scripts that call 360works plugins.

I'm running a Mac 10.9.5 machine (OS X Client) with FIleMaker Server 13 installed.

I'm trying to add the stderr log to newsyslog conf file so that the log file will be automatically trimmed.  The problem I'm having is that the newsyslog throws a permission error when trying to access log files located inside of the /Library/FileMaker Server/ directory.

FileMaker sets these permissions as fmserver:fmsadmin for items in these folders.  I've tried adding ACLs for the root user and wheel groups, but that made no difference.  I also even tried setting the everyone permission to Read/Write just to see if I could get it to work but I still get a "bad permissions" error.

Does anyone have any suggestion or experience with setting the proper permissions to get this to work?  Thanks in advance.

I discovered thorough some more testing that the problem is not actually permissions but the Directory Name.   newsyslog does not like it when a directory name has space in it.

(i.e. /Library/FileMaker Server/Logs/stderr) commenting out the space ( ie. /Library/Filemaker Server/Logs/stderr) doesn't work it gives the same error.  

• 11 months later...

Hi, 

It seems I ran into the same issue with stderr growing to GBs in size. Newsyslog may work, but since I can't add the default Filemaker Server path with the space in it, I was wondering how you had solved the issue. Can you simply re-name the FIlemaker Server directory to get rid of the space? I would be very hesitant to do it as the path name would surely have dozens, if not hundreds, of other references...

Thank you!

/Library/FileMaker Server/ should be written /Library/FileMaker\ Server/

Most server applications since the year 2000 does log rotation.

Edited by ggt667

I found with newsyslog that it doesn't recognize commenting out spaces as a valid file path. (/Folder\ Name\ With\ Space ).    As for solving my problem either an update to the 360works plugins or updating to FileMaker 14 Server resolved the issue.   I don't remember which one it was.

This topic is 3043 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.