error The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of FileMaker Pro'

This topic is 3364 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have just one database amongst quite a few on our server that provokes the error "The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of FileMaker Pro" every time some one tries to open it.  This of course makes the Filemaker client close down completely and makes opening the file from the server impossible.  Filemaker support told me that it was undoubtedly because there was an external data source that was referencing an IP address outside of the local network (even if the IP address is on the local network) and that when the signal comes back to the client, Filemaker mistakes it for another client with the same serial number.  I have been through all the external data source references on both the file that can't be opened from the server and from main file that can be opened from the server that is cross referenced.  All the referencing of the file paths under "managing external data sources" is done with the "file path: file:xyz" format which I thought would resolve the problem, however we are still stuck with it.  Would anyone know how to get out of this bind?

This has nothing to do with FMS. It's telling you that more than one copy of FMP with the same license is running on the same local network. Although it may (I'm not sure) be acceptable to have a copy on, let's say, a laptop and a desktop machine, they certainly can not be used at the same time. Not sure if this is the source of your problem, but maybe.

Sorry, I should have explained that I do not have more than one copy of FMP with the same license.  If I did this phenomenon would happen with all the databases on the server.  As it is, it only happens with one particular database out of about 20, and it only started to happen a few days ago.  And this is a FMS problem in that I can open the database locally without any problems, but not remotely on the server, which is I what I need to do.

I don't know what you mean by a "NIC connection", can you explain?

Turn on script debugger before you start to open the problem file. Note that there can also be file references in scripts. I strongly suspect It willin fact turn out to be an external reference.

Thanks for the script debugger idea.  However there was nothing in opening script that could have caused the problem.  But what's really weird is that the problem has now disappeared without me having made intervention. An unresolved mystery !

This topic is 3364 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.