Commit record on timer

sal88

This topic is 3345 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all

I've just had this request come through. I'm quite sure this is something that is beyond the call of duty, but thought I'd check to see if anyone has any suggestions:

Often users modify a field but remain in that field, they do not commit the record by clicking the blank space on the layout. Obviously this means that that record is locked so no one else can modify it. The suggestion has been to have an automated timer commit script.

Off the top of my head this would probably not solve the problem if the record cannot be validated because of other fields that need to be populated (which would happen around half the time I'd say).

My instinctual position is that if there's one thing we're allowed to request from the end user it's that they don't loiter around in fields! 

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks

The suggestion has been to have an automated timer commit script.

Technically, it's possible. Whether it's advisable is a different question - and it cannot be answered without being familiar with your client's workflow.

A few point that you may consider:

1. You can disconnect idle users - there's a setting for that in Privileges;

2. Reverting the record might be more sensible than committing it - esp. if it is a new record;

3. Speaking of that, how likely is it that another user will complain about a new record (whose existence he/she is not aware of) being locked?

This topic is 3345 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.