MirrorSync > Distribution

This topic is 3319 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Assuming I have a hosted solution, a SYNC button on the layout. If I can identify the target users, I can email them the downloaded fmp12 file. They open with FMGO and their device will be registered.

I have the following questions:

1. If I have new update to the hosted solution, how do I distribute and push the updates to the registered users?

2. How do I remove an existing registered device and prevent them from joining in the future?

MirrorSync can't sync layout/schema changes, so the recommended method of distributing updated copies of the database is to make the changes to the server file, run through the configuration again, making any necessary changes, re-pasting the script steps, and redistributing offline copies. Users should sync any data they currently have before any changes are made on the server.

For removing devices, you can open the Licensing dialog from the main screen of the MirrorSync Config Client. In this dialog you can see every device that has synced, and can remove any device you wish. After removing a device from this list, a user will no longer be able to sync with their current file, and will need to get a new offline copy.

If I remove the previously-registered device from the list. Can the user still able to open the fmp12 file and make a sync request, which MirrorSync will accept the request and register the device back onto the list again?

By default, no, once you remove a device from the list, the offline file corresponding to that device will no longer be able to sync. If a user initiated a sync from that file, it would make the sync request, but MirrorSync would immediately stop the sync with an error message along the lines of "The device corresponding to device id <id> has been removed from the device list. To sync, get a new offline file from your sync administrator"

So user cannot continue to sync if the device is removed fro the registered list without getting a new downloaded file. To add on to the issue, it is also important to control the user not to have access to the new downloaded file, if it is shared via Dropbox file sharing.

By the way, I would recommend using MirrorSync's download URL feature rather than dropbox; it's much more convenient. To use this, click the download button in the MirrorSync admin utility and select the 'create a link' option. Send this link to all of your users, and then they can download the latest version from the sever any time by using that same link. You don't need to send out new links when you update the file.

If you need to prevent somebody from downloading files, click the download button again but this time select the option to revoke all active download links. Then generate a new download link and send that to the authorized users.

This topic is 3319 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.