Server Maintenance This Week. ×

License

This topic is 3310 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi

I have a FM Server 13 with 5 concurrent license. Can I purchase (e.g.) 30 MirrorSync licenses to work with this server, assuming only 5 users can only sync with the server at the same time?

And I wish to know also if the MirrorSync license is for 1 year or perpetual?

MirrorSync only communicates with FMS via the XML Web Publishing Engine or JDBC, so it doesn't count towards your concurrent connections. Therefore, your example of 30 syncing users would be fine, even if they're syncing simultaneously. 

And if you have a license for MirrorSync 2, it will be good forever for any version of MirrorSync 2. If/when we update to MirrorSync 3, you would need to upgrade your license to use that version, but it would still work for version 2.

Thanks for clarification.

Let say if I have 30 mobile users, I download it to Dropbox and send an invite to these 30 users. When they make the first sync, their devices will be registered and I can view it from the MirrorSync > Licensing. My question is : How do I recognise which device belongs to which user since the device name is not within my control. Also, how do I prevent "UN-authorised" device from being registered. Is this done through login authentication within my fmp solution?

When a user performs an initial sync, she must have already authenticated for the FileMaker solution already. Then, at the beginning of the sync, she would be prompted to enter both a device identifier, and a password for her current account. The sync identifier is displayed in the Licensing window, and by default is something like "<username>'s ProAdvanced 13.0v3", so if your user's local machine's username aren't descriptive, you may ask them to put their full name in, instead. MirrorSync then uses the user-provided password to authenticate on the hub database, under the same account the user is logged into in their local file. 

• 2 weeks later...

If I buy 10 licenses for my users, is the license meant for a particular file solution (e.g. abc.fmp12) or I can use for more (e.g. abc.fmp12, ghk.fmp12, mno.fmp12 and xyz.fmp12)?

Each solution will need it's own configuration. If you buy 10 device licenses, those licenses can be used across configurations as long as they are the same devices. For example, if you have configuration a,b,and c, device 1 can sync to all of those configurations and only count as 1 license. 

Hi Ryan,

Take for an example, if I have a FM Server 13 and currently hosting solution for 3 clients. In such case, what license model I should buy? Assume 5 users for each of my client. 

You would need to buy a configuration for each solution and a device license for each unique device. MirrorSync comes with one free FileMakerServer -> FileMakerPro/Go configuration and one free device license.

This topic is 3310 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.