Server Maintenance This Week. ×

cannot change date on duplicate invoice for printing

This topic is 3311 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I produce invoices daily, so it's easier and quicker for me to create a duplicate invoice from an existing client invoice, update the line items, and change the invoice date and due date than to create a new invoice every time as I have to add the project, client info, payment terms, etc. etc.

I noticed this morning that if I go this route, I am stuck with the date of the original invoice when it comes to saving my invoice as a PDF to send to the client. The new date 'sticks' on the entry form, but is not reflected in the PDF. Is it possible to fix this? I'm moderately savvy with tweaking FMSP to suit my needs.

Thanks,

Rae

Rae,

You are not providing enough information to help you resolve this issue.  For example, on the PDF'ed invoice is the date a field, a calculation, a merge field - what is going there?  I would highly recommend checking to make sure that the object showing the date on the invoice matches the field data source from the layout - that is most likely what is causing your issue; that is, the data in the layout is not actually reflected on the invoice, but instead some other field that is not being updated.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

John Walton

Thanks for your reply, John. I must have misunderstood the purpose of this particular forum as I expected that whomever replied would be familiar with the structure of FM Starting Point and that I wouldn't need to provide that level of detail about how it's built. I frankly have no idea. The best I can tell is that the invoice data entry field for the date matches that of the printing template and that it isn't an auto fill field.

Rae

FMSP is pretty simple so some of the people here help out with answers... since I cannot patrol this 24/7.

Plus lots of other consultants us FMSP for their customers... so its more of an Open Source Project...than just an RCC effort.

We are creating a marketplace on the FMSP website... for 3rd part consultants... to put up speciality versions of FMSP.

- RC

Rae,

I'll have one of my engineers check this issue.   And get back to us.  We are definitely NOT stuck with this.  The default behavior SHOULD BE ...that the duplicate invoice takes on the current date... of when the duplicate was created.

- RC

Okay, so I did understand the forum correctly and posted to the right place. Thank you!

And thank you for looking into this issue. I ended up having to open my PDF in Adobe, 'erasing' the incorrect date, and typing in the correct one using the typewriter tool. Quite a bit of extra work and the invoice looked funny. :)

Rae

Rae,

I have looked through our system and have not been able to duplicate the issue; however, I do have some ideas as to why this may be happening.

1. If you have created a script to create a duplicate PDF file, there may be a coding error.

2. If you are using Filemaker's built in "Save as .PDF" function, make sure you have the "Save:" line selected to current record only, as that may also be your issue. 

-JH

Hi JH,

Thanks for your reply. I just solved it. It turns out that the fields on the print simple detail invoice and the data entry screen aren't the same! The one for data entry is Invoice_Date and the one for the PDF is Date_Invoice! I'm wondering if that's a bug unto itself and that there should only be one of these two fields? I can't believe I missed that. I get paid to notice things like that! I changed the PDF field to Invoice_Date and everything's working fine now.

BTW, this is an issue with the new version of FMSP for FM 13. I used the older one for several years without any issues.

Rae

This topic is 3311 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.