Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Importing CSV from Google Drive

This topic is 3290 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

FileMaker 11 and it doesn't have import from URL.   What works fine is file menu > import > past the url into field that asks for location of file > open button (or maybe it says import) 

it it will import the data from google drive into a table just fine. If you try and do the same through a url script step it complains about the url not being a valid location (or says something similar)

It's not possible to import CSV files (or any other type of files, except XML) from outside of your network. What you describe is probably a result of something that happens between your OS and the Google Drive application. You could test this by using the same method to insert a file into a container field (as reference only) then see what the actual path to the file, as stored in the container field, is.

Thanks LaRetta!  I just updated my profile as you suggested. 

Comment.  I think you just nailed it.  That makes sense.  I bet Windows 7 is doing it and storing the file that it retrieves in a temp folder them somehow Filemaker is being told that location by the OS and bam it imports.  Same thing is NOT happening as a scripted import.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Does someone have a link to a post or a suggestion for the simplest way to script an import from a web-based .CSV file into Filemaker? I imagine it is the same for and excel file as well.  I'll keep digging for sure.  Just thought I would ask in case someone could paste a link or something.  Really appreciate your help over the past 11 years when I have needed it!

Does someone have a link to a post or a suggestion for the simplest way to script an import from a web-based .CSV file into Filemaker?!

​I just said it's not possible. What you can do is download the file, using a plugin or OS-level scripting (or, in version 12 or higher, the Insert From URL script step), then import the resulting local file. Alternatively, if you have any control over the web server, use XML.

This topic is 3290 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.