Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FMServer 13 disconnecting idle clients after very short idle time

This topic is 3278 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I'm running FileMaker Server 13.0.9.905 on a Mac Mini (Late 2012, running OS X 10.10.3), and connecting with FileMaker Pro 13.0v5 running on an iMac. I have recently been experiencing a problem where the client is being disconnected from the server after a very short idle time, for instance 10 or 15 minutes. The server was originally set up with the "Set maximum idle time..." option unchecked. When the problem started occurring, I set that option to allow a maximum time of 720 minutes ( 12 hours ), but the client is still being disconnected after about 15 minutes idle time. 

The server status actually says "Client [client details] no longer responding; connection closed." Is that a different issue than idle time?

Any advice on solving this would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Tom

Edited by Tom R.

Hi,

The server status actually says "Client [client details] no longer responding; connection closed." Is that a different issue than idle time?

​Yes, that is different.  It is symptomatic of a bad network.  FMP and FMS are in constant communication and when they fail to find each other on those periodic check-ins, you'll get that error.

Does it happen with all clients or just a few?

• Like 1

Just updated to FMPro 13.0v9; didn't realize v5 wasn't the latest release. I'll see if that helps.

Some, but not all, of the other clients in use are experiencing the same problem. Still need to double check which versions are installed on the ones also having problems.

Thanks,

Tom

I'm running FileMaker Server 13.0.9.905 on a Mac Mini (Late 2012, running OS X 10.10.3), and connecting with FileMaker Pro 13.0v5 running on an iMac. I have recently been experiencing a problem where the client is being disconnected from the server after a very short idle time, for instance 10 or 15 minutes. The server was originally set up with the "Set maximum idle time..." option unchecked. When the problem started occurring, I set that option to allow a maximum time of 720 minutes ( 12 hours ), but the client is still being disconnected after about 15 minutes idle time. 

Out of curisity, is the client possibly going to sleep or shutting it's screen off in that time?  I've run into the same problem, and I've narrowed it down to some issue with the way that clients go to sleep and wake up in Mac OS X.  It could be actually going to sleep or even the screen saver activating, but it's a common issue for clients to lose connection on an otherwise extremely healthy network.

• Like 1

Hi James,

I adjusted my settings to disable screen saver and prevent screen from turning off, and left my database open all night last night. This morning, everything was fine, and I had not been disconnected. So yes, I think it must be the same issue you have run into. Maybe this has been fixed in FMPro 14? (It's within the realm of possibility, but I wouldn't lay odds.) 

Thanks,

Tom

Hi James,

I adjusted my settings to disable screen saver and prevent screen from turning off, and left my database open all night last night. This morning, everything was fine, and I had not been disconnected. So yes, I think it must be the same issue you have run into. Maybe this has been fixed in FMPro 14? (It's within the realm of possibility, but I wouldn't lay odds.) 

Thanks,

Tom

​It looks to be more of a Mac OS X issue than an issue with Filemaker.  Without looking into it in more detail, what I think is happening is that the computer is falling asleep and therefore losing connection with Filemaker server.  When you wake the computer back up and Filemaker attempts to test the network connectivity, the test fails and then Filemaker closes with the error.

This topic is 3278 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.