Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Value List display content of two separate fields in same table

This topic is 3264 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all,

Attached is a sample file that contains the problem I am trying to solve. In short, I would like a value list to display in FIND MODE all of the WORDS that have been used in creating WORD ASSOCIATIONS. The table is WORD ASSOCIATION: a WORD can be associated with another WORD. For example: CAR is associated with VEHICLE (a synonymous association).

I have the "creation" of a WORD ASSOCIATION functioning. I also have drop down value lists in "find" mode for each of the two WORD fields functioning: they show only the values that exist within their respective fields. However, a User should be able to (in "find" mode) select from a single drop-down list that displays ALL of the WORDs that have been used in WORD ASSOCIATIONs - whether the WORD was created as a WORD-FIRST, or WORD-SECOND.

I have hacked away at this without success. I have tried using the LIST function, which seems to "kinda-work". It does display all WORDs used in WORD ASSOCIATIONs when a User is in find mode, however, right after making the selection, the WORD selected is not displayed correctly consistently (I believe when selecting a WORD, it is really selecting the WORD ASSOCIATION pair of WORDs, and is really showing one word of the WORD ASSOCIATION pair. The WORD from the pair that is alphabetically closer to A seems to be what is displayed in the field). The result of the FIND operation is correct, but the display is hosed up.

I strongly suspect there is a proper way to do this and I am failing on that front. Can anyone help with this? Thanks

sample_file.fmp12

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps try to explain from a user perspective...

Looking at your example, if a user wanted to search by "Lion" what do you want to see happen, before during and after the search/script?

From a User perspective, I can imagine a couple of scenarios:

1) They wish to search for what words have an association with other words. A drop-down list showing 1 instance of each unique word would indicate what words have an association. User selects drop down and sees CAR, they select it and takes them to any word association record, where a neighboring portal could display ALL other words associated with CAR.

2) User wishes to search for specific word, for example, CAR. They enter find mode, select CAR from drop-down and they would get the same experience whether they are browsing or searching.

I was hoping there was a way of "aggregating" the values in WORD-FIRST field with WORD-SECOND field for all records in WORD ASSOCIATION table and deliver that as a drop-down list where User selects a WORD and a record matching it appears. The neighboring portal (not sure if that is in the sample I attached) would take car of displaying ALL other WORD ASSOCIATIONS related to the found record.

Any ideas?

See how a structure of

Word --< AssociatedWord >-- AssociationEvent >-- AssociationType

works for you, i.e. drop the notion of first and second word.

btw, why does this have to work in Find mode when you can script a Find?

Edited by eos

Hi eos,

Two questions:

1. ASSOCIATION EVENT would contain what type of records? Examples would be helpful.
  2. Would ASSOCIATION TYPE have records such as: synonymous, hyponymy, meronymy, etc.?

As for scripting the Find, I did not know if FIleMaker provided what I was looking for via the creation of some sort of value list using a calculation, "native" function, or relationship technique that would prevent the creation of a script. 

If a script is the only way to provide the functionality, then I am learning as I go.

Would ASSOCIATION TYPE have records such as: synonymous, hyponymy, meronymy, etc.?

​Yes.

ASSOCIATION EVENT would contain what type of records? Examples would be helpful.

​The same as association type, but this time denoting an actual occurrence of combining two words.

See if the attached file helps you (just a quick sketch, though).

WordAssociations_eos.fmp12.zip

This topic is 3264 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.