Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Email system structure - is there a better way?

Darren Emery

This topic is 3275 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am taking a new look at how I build in email functionality, and I have created a system that seems to be working well, but I wonder if I'm missing something, if there is a better way, or if I may be painting myself into a corner for expandability down the road.  Would appreciate any feedback.

I am using SMTP rather than client due to all the challenges we have faced in the past with Outlook/Windows upgrades. A key feature is that I need the outgoing emails to be from whomever is using the FM system, so that reply emails go directly to my user, rather than a generic email account.

I accomplished this by creating a table where I store the FM user account name and the associated email.   I also created a global calculation field that holds current account name via Get(account name)  I related the email table to the original table (zoning, for future reference) via the global calc field which has the current user account.  Then the outbound email grabs the email for the "to" field via this relationship.

One thing I can quite figure out - the global calc field to Get(account name) does not display the name, but this system still works.  If I turn global storage off, it displays my account name, but I need this to be a global field, so I have a unique value for each user.

I know this is a pretty broad based question, but I don't know enough about this to know the right questions to ask!

This topic is 3275 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.