Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Column Chart Issues with X-Axis Configuration

Tiny

This topic is 3256 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi everybody,

after diving into Filemaker rather recently I was amazed how quickly I could yank out a solution for our sales folks, this really is a great tool.

Now the only thing I'm having trouble with is charting. More specifically, I'd like to display exemplary projected value increases given different percentages and I'm running into a wall for the first time really.

A study shows that there is an average increase of 8,5% on revenue when using our product. Now, I'd like to hand out a column chart accompanying our offers that shows increases at 0; 5; 8,5; 10; 15 and 20% respectively, based on the current revenue.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out what to base my x-axis on. All examples on the web show your typical chart, based on Value by Month etc., but not based on arbitrary values on one axis.

It'd be awesome if somebody could help me out with a bit of insight.

Thanks in advance! :)

Could you give us a rough idea what your data looks like? Specifically, this part:

A study shows that there is an average increase of 8,5% on revenue when using our product.

​It seems like there would be a record for each user, showing their change in revenue - and you want to group these records by the "bin" to which the increase belongs?

• Like 1

Hi comment, thank you for taking your time!

I attached an image that shows the graphs in an Excel document.

Ideally, we would visit a potential customer, get his current sales data and print a graph in order to visualize the possible increase at several possible percentage rates. So this is for one specific customer really.

Now I know that the data from a sales/gross value field should be on the y – but what should I put on the x in order to show the values? 

2015-06-01_22-10-48.jpg

Edited by Tiny
typo

Well, there are records for each user, for example Customer::GrossProfit, Customer::Surplus, etc.

Whatever is on the X axis should reflect the current value, like Customer:GrossProfit * 1,0 (as in 0% increase) in the left column, Customer:GrossProfit * 1,05 (as in 5% increase) in the next column to the right and so on.

I'm just confused since I can't figure out which values on the X axis that would create such behavior. Do I need a formula, a calculation, a script? A percentage field like Customer::Percentage wouldn't fit either, since I need 6 values, not one… *clueless*

Thank you, that might be something in the right direction, although there are groups involved here.

I really don't know how else to put it, first column shows the customers current revenue, next column shows it with a 0,5% increase, next column shows it with an 8,5% increase and so on, just like in the left diagram above.

All the columns should be calculated from the one known value (the revenue) and multiplied with the known percentage steps one after the other. Seems to work fine in Excel, but I can't manage to nail it down.

Would the original Excel file with the calculation be of any use to you?

Edited by Tiny

I really don't know how else to put it, first column shows the customers current revenue, next column shows it with a 0,5% increase, next column shows it with an 8,5% increase and so on, just like in the left diagram above.

​How many customers does that graph reflect?

This topic is 3256 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.